TSNE (formerly Third Sector New England) (www.tsne.org) is a management support organization that partners every year with hundreds of nonprofits, foundations, community-based groups, and others working for social change. Our mission is to provide information and services to build the knowledge, power, and effectiveness of individuals, organizations, and groups that engage people in community and public life. The ultimate intention of our work is to create a more just and democratic society.
We assist a wide range of organizations in the social sector with a mix of management support and capacity building services in consulting, financial and grants management, business administration, human resources, compensation and benefits administration, professional development training and research in nonprofit fields of practice.
As a leading voice and capacity builder in the nonprofit sector, TSNE is committed to learning and building our practices and values around diversity, inclusion and equity, and working in a culturally proficient way with our staff and the organizations and communities we serve. We actively cultivate a work environment that values the experiences of individuals in an open-minded and collaborative atmosphere.
The Senior Human Resource Consultant works as a member of TSNE’s Programs Team, specifically in Human Resources consulting and training. This position is responsible for establishing and forwarding TSNE’s philosophical approach to Human Resources consulting. The Senior Consultant brings a values-based approach to working with client organizations and oversees the delivery of this work in alignment with and support of TSNE Programs’ other consulting, training and learning practices. The Senior Consultant will provide knowledge and experience of HR operations and processes to help our clients achieve their strategic objectives while at the same time building our brand and reputation of high quality services amongst our clients.
Management and Department Suppor
- Supervise and provide needed support and training to the Human Resources Consulting team;
- Partner with the Human Resources Consulting team, the Associate Director, and other members of the programs team to align practices across the department;
- Partner with TSNE’s internal Human Resources department to ensure alignment across practices;
- Partner with TSNE Marketing and Communications staff to promote the HR Consulting practice;
- In partnership with the Client Intake Team, communicate with potential clients to share information and learn of their interests regarding HR training and consulting needs. Draft related scopes of services as requested.
- In collaboration with TSNE’s Director of Learning and Evaluation, establish benchmarks and data collection systems to measure client satisfaction and impact;
- Manage and update information and communications within TSNE databases with regard to Human Resources Consulting and Training engagements.
Consulting and Training
- Oversee the delivery of human resources-oriented consulting and training services to nonprofit clients in alignment with TSNE’s other consulting and learning practices;
- In partnership with the Client Engagement Team, engage with prospective clients, funders and other collaborators to assess client needs and desires to help determine an appropriate portfolio of services and/or needs;
- Work collaboratively with clients to design and implement human resources systems, structures and practices that are aligned with their organizational values;
- Engage with prospective clients to plan and prepare proposals/scopes of work, including fee estimates;
- Ensure engagements are well managed with a client-oriented perspective, in partnership with other consulting and training colleagues;
- Ensure that services are high quality, responsive, and delivered with an equity lens;
- Ensure that engagements are designed with consistent attention to issues of equity, inclusion and belonging;
- Provide consultation to TSNE’s clients around employee relations and other personnel matters;
- Provide other organizational development consulting services to TSNE clients, as appropriate;
- Facilitate HR training offerings through TSNE’s Better Non-Profit Management Training Series and for external nonprofit client organizations and conveners;
- Work with the Training staff to develop training curriculums and tools.
Organizational Support Research and Writing
- Serve as a thought partner and work in collaboration with Consulting and Training Team members, as well as with other TSNE staff, to advance program planning and to lift up and share lessons learned;
- Participate in TSNE-wide projects and initiatives as needed and approved by supervisor.
- Write blogs, articles and other informational and thought materials to promote values-aligned human resources practices and to promote the work and accomplishments of TSNE;
- Oversee research projects like TSNE’s periodic Valuing Our Nonprofit Workforce compensation and benefits study.
Complete other tasks and projects related to the job, as needed.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Six or more years of experience in human resources including strategic human resources management, employee relations, compensation, hiring, payroll, salary and benefits management; designing and implementing performance review systems, performance management, and interpreting and implementing human resources policies;
- Five or more years in a nonprofit management or supervisory role;
- Experience managing the implementation of human resources practices and systems;
- Sophisticated knowledge, understanding and experience implementing employment regulations and compliance related matters;
- Experience supporting and consulting with external groups and clients is required; experience working with fiscal sponsorship is a plus;
- Exemplary customer service skills and experience providing team-based services is highly desired;
- Proven success designing and facilitating highly interactive, adult-learning oriented trainings, workshops and/or interventions is required;
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities and at the same time, to support multiple stakeholders and complex programs; ability to meet multiple deadlines under pressure;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required;
- Ability to work independently and in a team-based environment;
- Ability to work in and provide support in a multicultural setting with people of diverse backgrounds, traditions, customs and personalities;
- Commitment to the work of social and economic justice organizations;
- Ability to travel periodically, locally, regionally and nationally as is called for.
- Knowledge of Programs Department Work and Values - Knowledge about the range of consulting and training services offered by programs department and familiarity with the programs department values: equity, excellence in service, and partnerships/collaboration.
- Project Management - For internal and external projects, as appropriate to role, scope/design/plan projects and/or implement/execute projects, staying on time, budget, with deliverables and effective communication
- Data Integrity- Collection and input of data needed to provide excellent client service and to manage the overall work of the department.
- Communication - Two-way Communication listening skills, writing skills, verbal techniques and nonverbal strategies to improve conversations. Ability to effectively impart and receive information from team members, peers and senior management. Clarifying understanding and taking into consideration different viewpoints.
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Identify root causes (initiating cause, fundamental reason for the occurrence of an issue) and come up with potential solutions. Solving the problem in a structured manner. Ability to compare data from different sources to draw conclusions, use effective approaches for choosing a course of action, and develop appropriate solutions.
- Foster Equitable Workplace - Awareness and appreciation of diversity in the workplace; understand the gaps and differences that exist, and how they may affect the work environment. Understand and manage unbiased positional privilege and authority.
- Management and Leadership - Ability to direct and contribute to initiatives and processes within the organization as a consensus builder, influencer, change agent, and a mission driven and results oriented leader. Assume accountability for the delivery of agreed results. Demonstrate an understanding of how these contribute to the goals of the organization. Demonstrate knowledge of multiple approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreement, and conflict. Lead, direct, and manage organizational change. Management of the time and resources to ensure that the work is completed efficiently. Understand what is urgent, and what is important, in order to help team members prioritize.
- Performance Management - Develop and implement strategies that optimize individual performance within the organization. Development of employees’ skills and abilities so that they can fulfill current and future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- High standard of integrity, ethics, and professionalism - The highest standards of integrity, ethical practices and professionalism are demonstrated in all aspects of work, including interactions with others, decision-making, and the development and delivery of work product. The ability to integrate core values, equity, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational practices.
- Relationship management - The ability to develop and nurture positive, productive relationships with others.
- Collaboration - The ability to collaborate vertically and horizontally throughout the organization and with others.
- Technologically and organizationally functional - Computer skills and demonstrates willingness to learn additional, specific platforms. Also understands and follows the policies and procedures applicable to all staff.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
- Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- Reach; traverse; sit (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move;
- Occasionally lift and/or move materials or equipment;
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate;
- Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards;
- Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight;
- Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed at our main office (89 South St. Boston, MA 02111. Work is currently remote.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $100,000.00 and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
- Generous Paid-Time-Off (PTO): 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week personal holiday, and sick time for full-time staff;
- 80% Employer-paid, $0 deductible Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim;
- Low-cost Guardian Dental and Vision;
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health and Dependent Care;
- Employer-paid Life, Long- and Short-Term Disability Insurance;
- Employer-paid Pension through TIAA;
- ...and more!
TSNE envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, TSNE actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
As an EOE/AA employer, TSNE will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.