MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Senior Heath Equity Consultant - CHEP
$65,000-$85,000 / Posted thru: 3-7-21
Work Location: Remote During COVID / Okemos, MI After COVID
Purpose: This position will serve as a Senior Health Equity Consultant responsible for supporting the implementation of the capacity building and training portfolio within the Center for Health Equity Practice (CHEP). This role will provide leadership to a team of health equity consultants and Center staff in the design and facilitation health equity and social justice public health programming and training for a range of audiences. This position is responsible for working with the Program Director and Associate Director to insure that the consultation, analyses and innovation of projects in the area of health equity and social justice as an effort to transform the practice of public health are in line with the strategic vision for the Center for Health Equity practice and the Institute as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead a portfolio of health equity and social justice programmatic work.
- Support the day to day work and operations of the health equity consultant team.
- Partner with the team coordinator to develop budgets, scopes of work, and identify staffing needs.
- Support the development of team members and provide mentorship as needed.
- Serve as liaison/primary contact for customers and clients.
- Work directly with the Program Director and Associate Director on the development of business leads.
- Develop workplans and write progress reports, grants, and contract applications.
- Serve on task forces, committees, etc., as necessary to achieve the desired outcomes of specific projects and facilitate the development of linkages between the institute and other organizations engaged in similar activities.
- Establish and maintain positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationships with all parties relevant to MPHI projects. Always maintain and represent the best interests of MPHI.
- Encourage experimentation, new ideas and innovation as it relates to equity and social justice with both CHEP and its stakeholders.
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and trends through research, external networking, and membership/participation in key organizations.
- Remain current on literature in key programmatic areas.
- Serve as an internal consultant to CHEP to support the overall strategy of serving as a national thought leader on equity and social justice.
- Provide technical assistance across projects.
- As assigned by Program Director and Associate Director, deliver keynote addresses and speeches, present in webinars, facilitate strategic planning sessions, and provide specialized consultation related to health equity and social justice in a range of settings and sectors.
- Facilitate and conduct Health Equity and Social Justice workshops and Learning Labs.
- Provide learning experiences in multiple formats (e.g. in person, webinars, virtual meetings, web-based courses) using a variety of techniques (e.g. small and large group exercises, case studies and scenarios, assessments).
- Oversee the design and modification of training materials and educational models to meet client needs.
- Work with the evaluation and consultant team to review and analyze the effectiveness and relevance of existing curricula for the Health Equity and Social Justice Workshops and Learning Labs and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these applications.
Education: M aster’s in public health or another public health related fields such as health education, public administration with a health care administration concentration, behavioral or social science or doctoral degree in a relevant field.
Experience: 5-10 years of professional experience post master’s degree in an equivalent position of this type. Content expertise in the area of Health Equity & Social Justice required.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Ability to work at the community level with diverse groups of people, concerning often sensitive topics.
- Experience working with and providing trainings, education, workshops, etc. to various audiences.
- Experience providing consultation across multiple sectors – e.g. education, health systems, private business, non-profit social service organizations, faith-based organizations.
- Experience writing grants and proposals addressing health equity.
- Established record as an effective manager of teams and/or direct report staff.
- Commitment to health equity and serving the under resourced populations.
- Requires considerable independent judgment and a high level of initiative and accountability.
- Excellent oral and written communications.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diplomacy and to facilitate groups under challenging circumstances.
- Self-motivated, able to conceptualize changing systems, and effectively and efficiently implement new program direction.
- Complete work in timely manner and handle multiple tasks at one time with minimal or no supervision.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with email/internet browser software.
Work Environment and Ph y sical Requirements: Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <25# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 30%-50% of the time and responding to phone inquiries. Standard office environment in Okemos, MI – working remote during COVID. Requires valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position. Frequent deadlines. In-state travel for training and/or meetings and out-of-state travel for responsibilities related to funding and duties.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: This is a direct supervisor type position that will hire, discipline and conduct the performance review of support staff, or make effective recommendations for their hire, discipline and performance review.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: This position directly impacts the quality of products, and the performance of project teams. It has substantial impacts on the integrity and quality of MPHI products and activities. Competent performance in this position has a substantial impact on the integrity and professional reputation of MPHI including meeting the needs of MPHI clients in a timely manner, maintaining professional relationships, and enhancing the future potential future contracts with clients.
Contact Person/Group Frequency Purpose
Program Director As Needed Direction/Planning
Project Staff Daily Coordination, planning
Clients/funders As Needed Development/ Service delivery
“For purposes of employment standards, this classification is “Exempt” from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.”
MPHI works with you to promote health for everyone. Together, we will build a world where tomorrow is healthier than today!