The Academic Advisor, College of Business (COB) Graduate Program assists in recruiting potential COB graduate students and assists the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office in evaluating applications for admission. The Academic Advisor, College of Business Graduate Program is responsible for assisting assigned business students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals of students and assisting in the development and implementation of a retention plan for the College of Business designed to assist students in progressing towards degree completion. The Academic Advisor, College of Business Graduate Program assists in planning, organizing, and presenting individual and group advisement sessions for business students (including prospective students).
Description of Primary Duties
The Academic Advisor, College of Business (COB) Graduate Program assists in recruiting potential COB graduate students and assists the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office in evaluating applications for admission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office in evaluating the academic credentials of candidates for admission to COB graduate programs and meets with prospective students to assist in the evaluation process.
2. Assists the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office in marketing, recruitment, and promotion efforts by attending local and regional graduate and career recruitment fairs, updating the website and other electronic and print promotional materials, and promoting COB graduate programs to undergraduate students using a variety of methods.
3. Provides an essential student service of academic advisement to prospective and admitted students to COB graduate programs by being knowledgeable of the academic policies and procedures unique to the College of Business as well as the University, guiding students in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions, assisting all students (not just advisees) seeking academic information, and directing students to resources within the University that provide additional assistance (e.g., financial aid, testing, career services, and student employment).
4. Facilitates the development and implementation of a retention plan for the College of Business Administration by researching literature on student retention, attending workshops, conferences, and seminars specifically addressing student advisement and retention, and recommending alternatives designed to assist students in progressing towards degree completion.
5. Facilitates the registration process for business students by assisting in planning, organizing, and presenting individual and group advisement sessions that provide information and assistance regarding degree requirements, major selection, and schedule building and explaining and enforcing the requirements for admission to the COB graduate programs, thus maintaining the integrity of the degree accreditation.
6. Ensures the effectiveness of the advising process by maintaining advisee files, regularly updating advisee academic reports, and validating the information contained in the advisee files with the student database.
7. Promotes the advisor-advisee relationship and provides timely and responsible customer service by effectively using the various tools of communication, including email, telephone, face-to-face meetings, and electronic advising notes.
8. Effectively assists students from other programs or schools in transition to the University and College of Business by providing accurate information and resources available to the student.
9. Assists COB graduate program students in developing a plan for completion of a degree by comparing the degree requirements as defined by the advisor-approved Program of Study with the student’s academic record, reviewing the Program of Study with students to determine the remaining courses required for degree completion, and assisting with developing plans for completion of those required courses through the use of the advisor-approved Program of Study.
10. Displays a positive, customer-focused attitude and promotes a positive work environment.
11. Facilitates a work environment that encourages inclusion and respect for differences.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, attending training and/or courses, and maintaining professional certification and/or memberships as required by the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the College of Business Administration’s Business Advisement Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Education: A Master’s degree from an Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) accredited institution is required by the hire date; an MBA or MAcc is preferred.
Experience: At least two years of experience in a position with a strong customer service aspect is required; academic advising is preferred. Extensive knowledge of the University, its requirements and regulations, is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communications skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict management, are required. Computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheet development, database management, and query development are required. Organizational and time management skills are required. The ability to interact with a culturally-diverse student population is required. The ability to work in a dynamic, ever-changing environment is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position requires occasional weekend, evening work, and overnight travel, particularly during scheduled advisement/registration periods, recruitment events, and information sessions as assigned by the Coordinator, Graduate Program Office.
Additional Qualifications Link to Job Description https://www.missouristate.edu/Human/JobDescriptions/1138-academic-advisor-college.htm Open Date 02/05/2021 Close Date (If Close Date is blank then the posting is considered open until filled) Special Instructions to Applicants
The First Date of Consideration is February 26, 2021. A review of applications will continue until position is filled.