Do you love solving challenging problems, writing and research? Do you also have the self-motivation, curiosity, creativity and ability to persuade others toward meaningful results? Are you passionate about the clean energy transition? If yes, then join our growing team!
RMI is seeking exceptional candidates to fill a Senior Associate position within the REALIZE Initiative of our Carbon Free Buildings program. Senior Associates are creative problem solvers who use their quantitative, technical and analytical abilities to conduct compelling analyses around vital energy issues. They collaborate with team members to craft and convey visionary-yet-practical solutions for our research questions and for our clients.
RMI’s Carbon Free Buildings (CFB) program seeks to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from the U.S. residential and commercial buildings by 2050. CFB drives impact through a range of tactical client engagements, thought leadership, and demonstration projects focused on maximizing the adoption of efficiency and renewable energy technologies.
REALIZE is an initiative within CFB focused on developing mass-customizable and scalable approaches to conducting zero carbon retrofits on affordable multifamily housing. The REALIZE initiative balances research, technical analysis, boots-on-the-ground field work, communication, stakeholder engagement and collaboration to achieve its goals.
Roles and Responsibilities
The key job responsibilities include:
- Research and summarize various models of predesigned and prefabricated retrofit solutions and installation best practices for multifamily housing
- Project manage and/or support R&D efforts to develop prefabricated integrated mechanical systems to be deployed at scale in multifamily retrofits
- Project manage and/or support pilot demonstration projects of REALIZE retrofits
- Conduct and/or support energy modeling, mechanical design, and other analysis needed to drive key insights and recommendations
- Coordinate external partners when developing collaborative project workstreams and deliverables
- Organize and facilitate market stakeholders towards action including working with manufacturers and suppliers, building owners and tenants, and financial institutions
- Produce thought leadership and knowledge transfer materials as needed to support the initiative
- A graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in a field related to the built environment
- Senior Associate candidates typically have 4+ years of professional experience
- Excellent quantitative analysis and modeling skills; ability to convert raw data into insights
- Ability to multitask and manage multiple work streams
- Excellent writing skills, visual presentation capability, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Entrepreneurial self-starter, with a willingness to plunge into unfamiliar problems
- High emotional intelligence, curiosity, and a desire to work collaboratively
- A passion for advancing market-based solutions to climate change
- A background in building energy systems, building science, architectural engineering, or a similar technical buildings field
- Professional experience with building energy simulation platforms and/or related coding languages, especially EnergyPlus
- Field experience evaluating, designing, and/or commissioning building energy systems (especially HVAC)
- Project management experience, especially related to government research grants
- Understanding and fluency in other areas related to the built environment, e.g. real estate finance, public policy, construction management, etc.
- Experience with group facilitation and workshop design
This position will remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, it is expected that candidates will live near one of RMI’s U.S. locations, with a preference for New York, NY, Oakland, CA, or Washington DC.
The starting Senior Associate level salary is $76,500-$85,000 with a 5% bonus target. This is based on experience that will be vetted through the interview process.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this—regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, socioeconomic class, educational attainment or other social identities—is critical to the success of each RMIer and collectively as an organization, ensuring that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed, supported and valued.
- Effectively connect, communicate and build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
Rocky Mountain Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Rocky Mountain Institute
Rocky Mountain Institute transforms global energy use to create a clean, prosperous, and secure low-carbon future. That is our mission. That is our passion. And every day, every member of our team of nearly 280 works relentlessly to achieve it. We are driving the global energy transition from fossil fuels to efficiency and renewables by working in partnership with businesses, communities, institutions, and entrepreneurs to advance market-based solutions. We achieve this by developing breakthrough ideas, testing and refining them, reshaping markets, and bringing solutions to scale. RMI is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with an annual budget of $70 million and offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing, China.