The Pan American Development Foundation (PADF) believes in creating a hemisphere of opportunity, for all. We work across Latin America and the Caribbean to make our region stronger—more healthy, safe, just, inclusive, resilient, productive, and sustainable for current and future generations. For nearly 60 years, we have served the most vulnerable communities, investing resources throughout the hemisphere. We partner with and enable civil society, governments, and the private sector for the greater good of the region. In 2017 PADF reached 10.3 million people through sustainable development initiatives in Latin American and Caribbean countries.
PADF is a vibrant organization that allows interns a hands-on, valuable opportunity to gain exposure to an international nonprofit working in the fields of:
- Economic opportunities, health, nutrition and education
- Democracy, governance, and human rights
- Peace, justice, and security; resilience
- Disaster management and climate adaptation.
We are committed to fostering a dynamic learning and professional development atmosphere and will offer mentoring and guidance throughout your time with us. The PADF team works collaboratively and dynamically and is looking forward to providing professional development and mentorship to a new team-member so that he or she can develop valuable, marketable skills in research, writing, and business development.
The Pan American Development Foundation seeks motivated, detail-oriented candidate(s) to serve as a Program Intern in its DC office in support of the implementation and monitoring of international development programs throughout Latin America and the Caribbean during the Spring of 2021 and possibly beyond. In this position, the Intern will assist PADF's staff in the management of U.S. government and/or private sector-funded projects. PADF offers a hands-on, multicultural environment for Interns to gain practical program management and implementation skills and a collegial atmosphere of professionals dedicated to creating a hemisphere of opportunity for all.
This posting seeks an Intern to work on the Democracy, Governance, and Human Rights portfolio. As such, the applicant should have a background in this area. The Intern will assist with the detailed analysis, editing, and drafting of complex and sensitive legal and research documents. Demonstrated ability to work in this capacity (in both Spanish and English) is strongly preferred.
Part-time (up to 30 hours per week). PADF will provide a small stipend.
March 1, 2021 (date is flexible and pending availability)
Period of Performance
Negotiable but preference will be given to candidates who can intern for over 3 months.
Remote. Must have access to reliable internet.
Reports to Chloe Zoeller, Program Manager: Democracy, Governance, and Human Rights
PADF is seeking interns who are seeking their bachelor's or master's degree in International Studies, International Development, Spanish, Human Rights, or similar fields of study.
Language Proficiency Required
Strong oral, reading, and writing abilities in English and Spanish.
Work Skills Required
PADF is looking for an energetic and committed individual to remotely join its headquarters team to support project management, new business development, and communications related to PADF programs.
- Exceptional reading, editing, and writing skills in Spanish and English will be critical
- Demonstrated competence in legal or other research papers strongly preferred
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and analytical
- Exceptional interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team and individually
- Must have very strong work ethic, be results-oriented, and self-motivated
- Must have a demonstrated ability to prioritize and complete various tasks under tight deadlines and work well independently
- Interest and/or experience working in international development or human rights is highly desirable
Learning opportunities include:
The Intern will refine his/her research, analysis, organizational, and writing skills by supporting the team in the following ways:
- Assist with the review and analysis of documents and information received from partners and/or field teams
- Translating project documents and communications content, i.e. social media posts, templates, reports, newsletters, etc.
- Researching relevant developments related to program activities, taking diligent notes and consolidating takeaways to report to supervisor
- Drafting reports, scheduling calls with partners, notetaking in events and meetings, etc.
- Attending meetings, webinars, and workshops to take notes and report back
- Administrative assistance
- Participate in the drafting of program summaries, case studies, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
More About PADF
PADF is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization established by the Organization of American States (OAS) in 1962.
PADF's core values. “H-E-A-R-T” = Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork.
PADF is strong because we are diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. PADF does not discriminate based on ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of cultures, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, and perspectives on the world.