Lakeland PBS seeks a skilled professional to serve as President & CEO. With studios in Bemidji and Brainerd, Lakeland PBS is a successful and respected public media licensee operating two public television stations that serve central and northern Minnesota. The CEO will be responsible for leadership of a dedicated team of professionals, working closely with a supportive board of directors.
As the only television stations in our markets, we provide critically important services, including the only local, nightly newscast for our viewers.
Lakeland PBS operates from an impressive digital facility and offers six channels of broadcast service as well as a robust digital presence.
North central Minnesota offers an extraordinary quality of life with exceptional access to outdoor activities, numerous lakes and prized cultural activities. The region’s economy is growing.
This is a terrific opportunity for a candidate that can demonstrate the skills and commitment to further this mission. Our board, our staff and our communities are prepared to welcome and support a leader that will support our mission and our future.
To apply, send résumé to: LakelandPBSCEO(at)netaconsulting(dot)org
Candidates are encouraged to include a letter of introduction, detailing your commitment to excellence and your vision for Lakeland PBS. Applications should be received by March 8, 2021.
We are assisted in this search by NETA Consulting. For a detailed position description and to discuss this opportunity, contact Skip Hinton, skip(at)netaconsulting(dot)org.
Lakeland PBS is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Lakeland PBS Position Description
Position Title: President & Chief Executive Officer
Lakeland PBS is available free and over-the-air to 490 thousand people throughout the viewing area and to anyone in the world through its array of digital services, including LPTV.org, YouTube, Facebook and the PBS video app.
Lakeland PBS is operated by licensee, Northern Minnesota Public Television, Inc. The corporation operates two full power digital television broadcast stations: KAWE (Bemidji) serving northern Minnesota and KAWB (Brainerd), serving central Minnesota. Since signing on the air on June 1, 1980 Lakeland PBS has been a Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) affiliate that produces, acquires and airs programs that are relevant to our rural and culturally diverse region.
We are looking for a skilled and energetic President & CEO who has passion and the ability to lead the organization and communicate effectively. The CEO will encourage and maintain productive relationships with the community, the staff and the board of directors.
The President & CEO serves as chief executive of Lakeland PBS, providing leadership, direction and oversight to ensure that the organization fulfills its mission and achieves its objectives, as determined with the Board of Directors.
The CEO reports to the chair of the Board of Directors and is responsible for implementing the strategic direction of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with the Board of Directors, develops the organization’s strategic direction, short and long-term plans and budgets.
- Assures that Lakeland PBS meets or exceeds industry standards with respect to content, technology, and funding.
- Provides leadership and guidance to members of the management team to ensure the smooth operation of the organization, as well as appropriate alignment of departmental strategies with overall mission and available resources. Assures accountability by working with senior staff to establish goals and tracking mechanisms.
- Serves as the chief fundraiser for the organization, including cultivation of relationships and solicitation of support from key individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Participates in station and community events in communities of license and surrounding area as leader of Lakeland PBS.
- With content staff, develops appropriate public service and revenue-generating projects and ventures designed to further the mission and/or strengthen the organization’s financial situation.
- Responsible for operation of the organization under applicable laws and regulations of the federal, state and local governments, as well as the FCC and other regulatory bodies.
- Assure timely and complete filing of required reports, including annual audit and IRS filings.
- Oversee fulfillment of obligations to CPB and PBS to assure eligibility for federal and PBS membership.
- Assure policies, procedures, and practices are in place to manage station finances, cash flow and investments.
- Maintains strong relationships with local community organizations in Bemidji and Brainerd areas.
- Works collaboratively with The Minnesota Public Television Association and its members, as well as with other regional and national public broadcasting organizations. Fosters diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Establishes and nurtures an environment to maintain a strong, inclusive and positive staff.
- Guides professional development initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board.
Five (5) years of increasingly responsible and successful experience in a senior executive role, preferably in broadcast media. Ability to understand meet and fulfill local, state and federal rules, regulations, policies and laws pertaining to the operation of a public television station and a non-profit organization. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, graduate level preferred. Computer literate with strong Microsoft Office skills.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge:
- Effective communicator
- Thorough understanding of technology relating to broadcasting, content creation, distribution channels and emerging trends.
- Proven track record in driving financial success. Financial literacy commensurate with the position. Ability to engage with donors and other funders.
- Demonstrated ability to represent the organization and work collaboratively with the community and public media nationally.
- Ability to oversee staff members, providing effective leadership, support and team building.
- Experience in developing and maintaining industry standards and ethics and working to ensure the creation of unbiased content for the organization.
Demonstrable Values/Personal Characteristics:
- Strong communicator/charismatic leader. Comfort appearing on television and other media.
- Team builder
- Honesty and integrity
- Ability to align with the strategic direction of the board.
- Thought leader.
- Diversity and inclusiveness
- Compassion and empathy
- Stewardship and gratitude
- Commitment to the values of editorial integrity
- Ability to inspire and envision.
- Consistent management style
- Flexibility in the face of changing dynamics
- Embrace the Lakeland PBS Community of Service
Lakeland PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $105,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
All staff and visitors must utilize established protocols.
- Leadership Experience: 5 years (Preferred)
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place