The Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce is searching for a dynamic individual to lead the organization as its CEO. The ideal candidate will have experience leading non-profit organizations and the ability to create and maintain relationships with members and community partners to carry out the mission of the chamber. The CEO reports to the board of directors and is responsible for providing general oversight of the organization and its day-to-day operations. Responsibilities include managing chamber staff, budgeting and fiscal management, developing programs and services, event planning and serving as a spokesperson for the organization.
The CEO is the chief executive and administrative officer of the organization and reports directly to the board of directors and its executive board. The CEO is responsible for all administrative management functions, including but not limited to: coordination of the chamber programs; organizational structure and procedures; motivation of volunteers and staff; income and expenditures; recruitment, visitation and retention of membership; employment, training, and supervision of staff; development, implementation and interpretation of policy; maintenance of the facility; and short-term and long-range planning. The CEO serves as the “face of the chamber” and will provide high profile leadership, vision, guidance and strategic direction for the organization. The CEO must love the Pierre and Fort Pierre area and its people, motivated to support local businesses and to be a leading force behind our “Loyal2Local” messaging.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management and Administration:
- Provide general oversight of the organization and its day-to-day operations.
- Direct the activities on behalf of the board of directors to ensure implementation of programs and services for membership.
- Performs as a liaison between the board, staff and members to maintain and carry out chamber programs.
- Monitors legislation which could affect the membership and prepares statements or assists the president of the board of directors in making statements of the chamber’s position on public issues.
- Prepares the board agenda and maintains the minutes and records.
- Motivates and inspires chamber board, staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for structure and activities of all committees.
- Ensures chamber policy, as established by the board, is properly recorded in minutes and indexes in the policy manual.
- Ensures physical chamber facility is properly maintained.
- Represents the chamber in meetings of local, state and national organizations.
- Leads fundraising events to generate non-dues income to support chamber operations.
- Hires, trains, directs, evaluates and provides all administrative action of chamber and CVB staff.
- Works with the CVB director to develop marketing tools and tactics to promote Pierre as a travel destination.
- Works with membership director to ensure the membership is maintained at a level necessary for adequate income for the operation of the chamber programs.
- Ensures annual contact is made with each member.
- Works with the membership director to ensure the chamber provides quality member benefits and services.
- Oversees work of the membership director in retention of existing members and recruitment of new members.
- Develops and monitors marketing strategies to promote the benefits of membership in order to engage new members and sustain them.
Fiscal Management and Budgeting:
- Develops, presents and recommends a balanced chamber budget to ensure expenditures are directly related to the program goals and also ensures the chamber operates in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Approves expenditures within the approved budget.
- Prepares or oversees preparation of monthly financial statements of income and expenses.
- Coordinates the financial record of the chamber and serves as the point of contact for accountants conducting financial reviews or audits.
- Ensures fiscal duties are adequately segregated.
- Oversees basic accounting duties including: invoicing, making deposits, preparing and paying bills and preparing monthly reconciliations.
- Closes out chamber books at the end of each fiscal year.
- Serves as a correspondent on chamber bank accounts.
Strategic Vision and Planning:
- Works with the board on developing and implementing a strategic plan.
- Performs annual review of programs and committee structures and recommends necessary changes to the board.
- Assists committee chairs in recruiting committee membership.
- Maintains consistency in programs run through the chamber and monitors progress to ensure goals are being met.
- Researches community needs and anticipates community long-range problems and recommends programs to counteract those problems.
- Reviews and recommends changes to the current organizational structure to ensure the organization is effectively geared to function with maximum efficiency in the anticipation, identification and solution of chamber or community problems.
Performs other work as assigned by board of directors or needed to effectively run the organization.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Principles of organizational behavior and management tools applicable to public administration.
- The organization and operations of the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce and its programs.
- Basic accounting principles.
- QuickBooks accounting software.
- Microsoft 365 and Office programs including Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Best practices in the use of social media.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and relationships with internal and external customers.
- Work together with the board to establish a clear vision for the mission and goals of the chamber and to clearly impart that vision to the staff and membership.
- Coach, mentor and foster teamwork and leadership among staff.
- Communicate regularly with staff, as a group and individually, to stay informed of accomplishments, needs, challenges, scheduling conflicts and workloads.
- Offer innovative ideas and solutions to support the chamber’s mission.
- Anticipate long-range community needs and develop programs based on those needs.
- Ascertain suggestions, proposals and requests from the members and translate them into action consistent with the fundamental objectives and policies of the chamber.
- Encourage suggestions, questions and constructive criticism from the community, businesses, board of directors and staff, in order to increase capacity to fulfill the chamber’s mission.
- Create working conditions that are conducive to maximum performance and employee morale.
- Develop a better public understanding of the purpose and functions of the organization.
- Plan, direct and supervise the work of others.
- Write and distribute news articles, press releases, professional letters and other documents as necessary.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic organization.
Physical Requirement(s): (If necessary)
- Ability to bend and lift approximately 20 lbs.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Public Relations or a related degree is preferred.
- IOM or CCE certification preferred.
- Experience in staff leadership and development.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Experience in non-profit organizational leadership.
Salary range is $65,000-$75,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience provided. Candidates should have flexibility to include early morning, evening and/or weekend meetings or travel as needed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
The board of directors would work with an interviewee if they desired to hold a virtual interview. Each employee has an office and we offer remote working possibilities. The office has precautions in place for COVID-19, can change with incoming CEO.
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- Pierre, SD 57501 (Required)
- Leadership Experience: 3 years (Preferred)
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place