Position Number 2297 Posting Number F1540 Position Type Instructional Faculty - Full Time Position Status Full Time College/Division College of Business Department 100330 - College of Business-Instruction Pay Rate Maximum Starting Specify Range or Amount Maximum starting salary is $65,000 commensurate with experience Is this a JMU only position? No Is this a grant-funded position? No
About James Madison University
We are a community committed to preparing students to be educated and enlightened citizens who lead productive and meaningful lives.
To be the national model for the engaged university: engages with ideas and the world.
Who We Are
Established in 1908, James Madison University is a comprehensive public institution offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs to more than 20,000 students. JMU is regarded as one of the finest regional universities in the nation and has been continuously cited in U.S. News and World Report, Changing Times and Money Magazine as an outstanding public university.
Located in the heart of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, the city of Harrisonburg is approximately 120 miles from Washington, D.C. and Richmond, VA. Known for its livability, local food, arts and natural surroundings, this Virginia Main Street community is one of the most diverse in the State of Virginia. JMU is a highly selective, diverse, regional, comprehensive, student-oriented institution with a growing national reputation. The student body includes approximately 21,000 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students, and over 900 full-time instructional faculty. JMU offers strong liberal arts and professional programs in a variety of disciplines. The university is committed to innovation, superlative teaching and scholarship. JMU has achieved national recognition for the quality of its academic programs and has been repeatedly identified as a best-buy for students.
The Department of Finance and Business Law in the College of Business at James Madison University (JMU) invites applications for a renewable term appointment with the rank of Lecturer in finance. The appointment begins August 2021.
The successful candidate will join a dedicated team of Finance and Business Law faculty providing instruction in the core business and finance curriculum. Candidates will be expected to teach principles of finance classes at the undergraduate level.
Duties and Responsibilities
The normal teaching load will be 4/4, i.e., four 3-credit courses each semester during the regular academic year. In addition to teaching, this position requires general service to the institution and the ability to maintain professional qualifications.
- Master’s degree in finance from an AACSB-accredited institution. Master’s of Business Administration degree from an AACSB-accredited institution acceptable when combined with professional financial experience. CFA or CFP designations are a plus.
- Candidates must provide evidence of professional qualifications and engagement in accordance with AACSB standards (Standard 3).
- Teaching experience strongly preferred.
- Three or more years of professional experience in managerial finance strongly preferred.
Criminal Background Check and E-Verify Notice
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check.
E-Verify Notice: After accepting employment, new hires are required to complete an I-9 form and present documentation of their identity and eligibility to work in the United States. James Madison University uses the E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.
Beginning Review Date
Proposed Starting Date
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.
We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.
Reasonable Accommodation Request
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance searching or applying for jobs please contact us at (540) 568-3597 or email@example.com. You may also visit the JMU Human Resource Office, located at 752 Ott Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 and we will be happy to assist you.
Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report
Minimum Reference(s) Required
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Additional Posting Information
- IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS: To apply go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number xxx. Candidates interested in faculty positions at the University must complete the online employment application in the JMU JobLink system and upload the following documents through the site:
- Cover letter. This document must include a discussion of the candidate’s contributions or potential contributions to the diversity of the classroom, program, and university.
- Curriculum vitae (including e-mail address, telephone number, mailing address, degree information, and complete work history post-degree).
- Teaching portfolio (including discussions of teaching philosophy, teaching evaluations, sample course syllabus) (Other Document #1)
- Unofficial graduate transcript(s)
The names and contact information for three references will be requested as part of the application. Each reference listed will receive an email requesting that they submit a reference through the JobLink system.
Incomplete applications or applications submitted through postal mail or email will not be considered. The review of applications will begin on March 1. Questions should be directed to Professor Pamela Drake, Search Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org).