Assistant Teaching Professor
Integrative & Global Studies
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
WPI seeks a full-time Assistant Teaching Professor whose teaching, advising, and scholarly expertise will support the evolution and growth of the University's global curriculum including potential graduate programs in community engagement and development, global health, and trans-regional studies.
Faculty support for project work includes classroom teaching, and organizing and advising student research projects around the globe. Over time, faculty will be expected to direct one of WPI's global network of project centers.
Teaching track positions are considered to be continuing positions.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- The successful candidate will prepare students for their off-campus research experience by teaching WPI's project preparation course (Social Science Research Methods for the IQP) and advise student projects at WPI's off-campus project centers during at least one of our 8 week terms each year. This person will also have the opportunity to teach in the GPS program and Master's program, depending on interest and need.
- Over time, the successful candidates will be expected to take a leadership role in directing one of WPI's network of off-campus project centers.
- Participation in research and scholarly activities is encouraged but not required.
- Experience teaching qualitative social science research methods (or applying them through scientific research), and in conducting and guiding applied field research.
- Experience engaging students in off-campus experiential learning in diverse organizational settings and diverse communities.
- Demonstrated ability and enjoyment in collaborating with colleagues from a variety of disciplines and engaging in collaborative knowledge generation.
- Candidates should have a strong interest in global teaching and learning.
- Interest in engaging in scholarly research areas such as community engagement, innovation, project-based education, urban planning and change, environmental sustainability, public health, or global learning.
- Foreign language skills.
- A PhD in International Studies or Development, Anthropology, Geography, History, Psychology, Sociology, Education, Environmental and Sustainability studies or a related field with interest and experience in global studies and project based learning.
How to Apply
For full consideration, applications, including a cover letter, CV, research statement, teaching statement, and contact information for references should be received by March 1, 2021.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Assistant-Teaching-Professor_R0001217
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.