Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies in Environmental Science and Engineering
Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies (ADUS) in Environmental Science and Engineering (ESE) with a concurrent lectureship in ESE. The ADUS will report to the ESE Area Dean and administratively to the Assistant Dean for Education. The ADUS will work closely with the ESE Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), as well as with the ADUS and DUS from other areas at SEAS.
- Teach or co-teach one undergraduate engineering course per semester.
- Support the senior capstone course (ES 100) and/or sophomore tutorial course (Sophomore Forum) as needed; serve as co-instructor on record for the individual study course (ES 91r) with an ESE focus.
- Serve as the first point of contact for students in the Environmental Science and Engineering AB concentration and the Environmental Science and Engineering Track of the Engineering Sciences SB concentration.
- Provide academic advising and mentorship on policy to admitted Harvard students, pre-concentrators, and concentrators and monitor student progress toward degree.
- In coordination with relevant offices at SEAS and Harvard College, support current students in their pursuit of undergraduate research opportunities, internships, and full-time post-graduate positions after graduation.
- Perform administrative management of the relevant concentration and tracks, including updating literature, curriculum documentation, study plan forms, and websites.
- Support ABET accreditation efforts for the Engineering Sciences SB concentration with an ESE focus.
- Participate as a member of the Undergraduate Engineering Committee (UEC), which is responsible for SEAS' undergraduate engineering policies.
Additional duties and responsibilities may include the following:
- Assist with mentorship of relevant engineering clubs.
- Assist with curriculum and course development, course planning, curriculum assessment, and new pedagogical methods.
- Advertise the ESE program at university-wide and departmental engagement events for undergraduates
To apply, candidates should submit their cover letter and resume/CV online through the Harvard Careers system. In addition, please submit a list of publications, and a statement of teaching philosophy and interests as additional attachments in Harvard Careers. Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to provide three letters of recommendation, including at least one that addresses teaching ability.
The Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences serves as the connector and integrator of Harvard's teaching and research efforts in engineering, applied sciences, and technology. Our core tenets are: educating broad-minded students; interdisciplinary research; integration across disciplines; and balancing theory, experimentation and practice to create an unmatched environment for learning and exploration. Through collaboration with researchers from all parts of Harvard, other universities, and industry, we bring discovery and innovation directly to bear on improving human life and society. For more information about us, please visit www.seas.harvard.edu .
SEAS is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
A Ph.D. in an environmental field (e.g., earth science, atmospheric science, oceanography, ecology, environmental engineering) or significant postdoctoral research experience in environmental science.
Documented ability to teach effectively and engage with undergraduate students; a strong commitment to education and mentoring, experience with advising and course/program development and commitment and enthusiasm for research and pedagogy in research methods; and excellent communication skills.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/wyz1MrFE84OBC26zhgGn7