Postdoctoral Researcher – Climate Services
Climate Central, Inc., Princeton, NJ USA
Climate Central, Inc. is seeking a postdoctoral researcher interested in combining climate knowledge with modern data science to support Climate Central’s goal to deliver accurate, timely, and relevant climate information to a variety of audiences.
About Climate Central
Climate Central is an independent group of scientists and science translators who research and report the facts about our changing climate and how it affects people’s lives. We use science, big data, and tech to generate thousands of storylines and compelling visuals that make climate change relevant and show what can be done about it. We address climate science, sea level rise, extreme weather, energy, and related topics.
Key responsibilities include:
- The primary responsibility will be to develop an operational system to identify weather events that have been strongly influenced by anthropogenic climate change.
- In support of the primary responsibility, the postdoc will be responsible for evaluating several candidate algorithms and developing a scientifically credible and documented system to synthesize multiple attribution levels into a single index.
- The postdoc will also work with Climate Central’s developers to operationalize the attribution system and with Climate Central’s communication specialists to deliver scientifically credible attribution messages to diverse audiences.
- The postdoc will also work with the Climate Central team to develop one additional research-to-0perations project that is consistent with the organization’s overall strategic directions. This could include developing products related to climate solutions or to characterizing impacts on important commercial or cultural activities.
- Candidate should have a Ph.D. or equivalent experience in climate science or a closely related field.
- Candidate should have an advanced understanding of climate science and familiarity with climate models and projections.
- Candidate should have significant experience analyzing climate data using modern statistical approaches in R or Python.
Currently, our work is being conducted remotely. When conditions allow, the postdoctoral researcher would be eligible to work from the Climate Central offices in Princeton.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits. Appointment is for a 1 year term, with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory performance.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please email a single PDF with your cover letter and curriculum vitae to email@example.com . Please include the subject title, postdoc in the subject line of your mail.
Your cover letter should describe your interest in the position and its alignment with your long-term career goals.
For questions or more information, please contact Dr. Andrew Pershing (firstname.lastname@example.org ), Director of Climate Science.
Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2021, but the position will remain open until filled. The preferred start date is May 3, 2021.