TITLE: Web Developer & Business Analyst
DIVISION: Marketing, Strategy & Innovation
SALARY: Full Time Support, Payband I, $34.69 - $40.20 per hour (37.5 hours per week)
LOCATION: 200 King St.E.
STATUS: Full Time Support
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
At George Brown College, we have established a reputation for equipping our students with the skills, industry experience and credentials to pursue the careers of their choice. As employees, we are committed to creating an enriching learning community for our students, delivering excellence in what we do, holding ourselves accountable for our work and demonstrating diversity and respect for one another.
What responsibilities will you have in this role?
- Adds, updates, and maintains content on the college’s websites and intranet with speed and accuracy, using the Content Management System (CMS), Drupal CMS.
- Works with other Digital Experience team members and external consultants to ensure webpages, PDFs and other online documents are AODA compliant.
- Conducts quality assurance and cross-browser compatibility testing of newly created or enhanced components and functionality to work seamlessly within existing CMS.
- Plans and coordinates development work in consultation with internal stakeholders, ITS and Supervisor, including aspects of transformational strategic initiatives.
- Conducts detailed requirements gathering including the drafting of project briefs, project plans, use cases, and acceptance criteria that interprets College stakeholder needs into achievable technical deliverables.
- Analyzes 3rd party tools and platforms and formulates proposed optimizations where necessary to meet business requirements for ease of use and responsiveness.
- Leverages their deep understanding of the CMS to identify and resolve technological issues that impact web operations in consultation with other team members, Supervisor, ITS, and external partners.
- Utilizes creative, usability and technical expertise to optimize the content presentation and user experience of the College’s websites through front-end site building, while maintaining website and corporate standards.
- Participates in development sprints as part of a cross-functional team that defines deliverables using Agile methodologies.
- Uses Git to commit front-end site building and configuration changes for deployment, using best practice branch management.
- Creates and maintains a detailed step-by-step guide for implementing established procedures and general website maintenance to ensure continuity in website operations and effective knowledge sharing.
- Provides administrative support to maintain GBC’s digital asset management system, the Self-Publishing System (SPS), by adding and training new users, creating vendor accounts, and troubleshooting issues that arise.
- Other related duties as assigned.
What qualifications do you need for this role?
- Three-year diploma/degree from a recognized post-secondary institution or equivalent in Computer Science with a focus on web design and development/computer programming.
- Minimum five (5) years’ database experience as a Developer, Business Analyst and/or Project Manager in information technology; with experience in managing customer relationships and project coordination or project management.
- Experience with requirements gathering business process modeling and quality assurance test cases.
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle, project planning, scheduling processes, wireframing and creation of design mockups.
- Demonstrated experience with open-source and proprietary Content Management Systems (CMS), developing using multiple front-end frameworks and backend languages, integrating third-party APIs and managing SQL and non-SQL databases.
- Familiarity developing and maintaining complex websites for large, decentralized organizations.
- Prior experience in developing complex reports and using business analyst tools and techniques like facilitation, interviewing, and documenting business requirements, and communicating technical requirements to internal clients, team members and external vendor partners.
- Superior organizational, time-management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task / work under pressure associated with the management of high-volume activities with competing priorities.
- Ability to demonstrate a proactive approach to addressing issues and challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills with high degree of commitment to customer service and support.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated commitment in delivering excellent service to others as this is key in supporting the success of our students and our College.
- Strong communication, collaboration, teamwork, and people skills.
- Effective ability to interact with others and deal with situations in ways that respect diverse backgrounds, experience and styles.
- Flexibility in adapting to change and in participating in consultative decision-making processes.
Note: This is not a back-end Drupal developer role. It is a front-end and basic site building/configuration management developer role within the Marketing department that works closely with back-end developers.
Hours of Work: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Interview process may consist of a practical skills component.
- Please ensure your resume highlights all relevant education, training and experience that are applicable to the minimum qualifications for this role.
- The College requires proof of degrees, credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post-secondary institutions and/or their international equivalents. Credentials may require validation at the time of interviews.
- First consideration will be provided to internal candidates in accordance with our Support Staff Collective Agreement.
Closing: Open until filled
George Brown College is dedicated to employment equity and encourages applications from people of all genders, persons with disabilities, racial/visible minorities and indigenous peoples. George Brown College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources representative responsible for the recruitment for this position will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
For information on George Brown College, please visit our website at www.georgebrown.ca.