Job Title: Temporary Chapter Elections Organizer
Department: Tehipite Chapter
Reports To: Chapter Elections Lead
Location: Fresno, CA
Context: Works to recruit Sierra Club members to volunteer for one of two Club-endorsed Congressional candidate campaigns (in CD-4 and CD-21) for the November 2020 General Election. This is a temporary position expected to end in November 2020.
Scope: Incumbents in this position phone, text, and email Sierra Club members and supporters with the goal of recruiting volunteers for two Club-endorsed Congressional campaigns. Incumbents contact Club members, and if they are interested, refers them to the candidate campaign to volunteer for candidate activities. Works remotely and under direct supervision. All activities are fully compliant with national Sierra Club Political Team and Compliance policies.
- Phone, text and email Club members and supporters to invite them to participate in candidate election activities. Candidate activities include, but are not limited to: phoning and texting targeted voters; attending Zoom volunteer meetings; attending house parties and town halls with the candidate; and dropping literature at the doors of targeted voters.
- Sierra Club systems used in this work include: VAN (to pull lists for phoning and text messaging members); Hustle (for text messaging), and SalesForce (to email members).
- Work schedule will be (tentatively) the hours of 3:00 to 8:30 PM, five days per week, including both Saturdays and Sundays. The workday will include four hours on the phones.
- Track and report daily totals to Chapter Election Lead, including: hours worked, metrics of work accomplished, and other pertinent information.
- Follow up with persons who have said they will volunteer with the campaign, and get them tto recommit if needed.
- Receive daily briefings to improve campaign skills, use of campaign tools, and knowledge of campaign goals and methods.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Sierra Club conservation campaigns of significance to the election, such as climate change, causes of forest wildfires, and groundwater overdraft.
- Knowledge of San Joaquin Valley and Sierra foothill regional issues, candidates, and elected officials.
- Election campaign experience preferred.
- Excellent telephone communication skills, including the ability to make a “hard ask,” active listening, the ability to reframe a message to fit within the listener’s experience, and skill at refocusing the conversation on the goal of the call.
- Fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Awareness of, and dedication to, the Sierra Club’s commitment to equity and inclusion of historically underserved communities.
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively, and effectively with Sierra Club members and volunteers, supervisors and fellow staff.
- Excellent judgment under pressure. Knows when to seek advice to get a question answered.
- Replies to all queries by Club members and supervisor within 24 hours.
- Demonstrated experience in researching questions, and in building and accessing a network of contacts.
- Preparation for this work could be demonstrated from past work in telephone sales or customer support, as an Executive Assistant or Administrative Assistant, or doing political constituency work. All experience will qualify if it is either volunteer or paid employment.
This is a category 99 non-exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.