Zayed University, a leading university in the United Arab Emirates, is an innovative institution based on an international model of higher education. With its campuses in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the University prepares graduates to become leaders in government, business, civil society, and family life. The University expects its graduates to be competent in English and Arabic, proficient in the use of computing technology, and strong in quantitative and research skills.
English is the primary language of administration.
Zayed University is fully accredited in the UAE and by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education in the US. The United Arab Emirates is a progressive country known for its high standard of living, its tolerance of other cultures and societies, its safety and family-friendly environment.
The Department of Islamic World Studies is a part of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) that contributes to the University‘s general education program as well as the College’s undergraduate and graduate programs that include: BA in International Studies, MA in Islamic Jurisprudence of Reality, MA in Diplomacy and International Affairs and MA in Judicial Studies. The Department of Islamic World Studies serves the needs of ZU students in the university’s general education program and later in the majors through the teaching of Islamic Civilization and Emirates Studies courses. In addition, the Department offers advanced Islamic Studies courses.
CHSS seeks qualified candidates to teach courses within the field of Islamic Civilization and Emirates Studies in the university’s general education program as well as advanced Islamic Studies courses for major students which focus on such topics as Islamic law and Culture and Contemporary Muslim Societies. Teaching is conducted in Arabic, although the ability to teach in English is a plus.
In addition to teaching and scholarly requirements, faculty are expected to provide service to the College and to the University including: participating in the development, evaluation and revision of the college curriculum, participating in the implementation of assessment of major learning outcomes, and actively engaging in research activities leading to the publication of peer-reviewed articles and/or books in their area of specialization. Faculty liaise extensively with external constituents to further the mission of the University within the community.
Successful candidates will fully meet the following expectations:
- Ph.D. in Islamic Studies (Principles of Jurisprudence, Objectives of the Sharia, Islamic Creed, Quranic Interpretation, Comparative Religions, Ethics, History of Islamic Civilization, or any related discipline).
- Proven record of excellence in teaching undergraduate and/or graduate courses.
- Dedication to curricular innovation.
- Record of professional accomplishment including at least 3 peer-reviewed publications.
- Commitment to a sustained research program and interest in collaboration with other faculty.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate web-based and/or digital technology in the classroom.
- Willingness to provide service to the University and the College.
- Experience with graduate programs would be an asset.
- Proven capacity to teach both native and non-native Arabic speakers.
- Familiarity, and prior experience with, the US model of general education is desirable.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive and includes a competitive salary in the United Arab Emirates, a housing and furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children, and subsidized healthcare provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter and a current CV. Review Process
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.