The Biologist performs a variety of laboratory procedures requiring accuracy, judgment and technical proficiency under minimal supervision. The incumbent complies with all ATCC corporate policies and procedures.
- Adheres to appropriate quality guidelines.
- Follows relevant SOPs and procedures under limited supervision.
- Receives and follows work orders, completing work as scheduled.
- Communicates effectively with supervisor and others as appropriate on work status.
- Performs viability and purity checks on biological materials.
- Prepares and/or propagates biological materials.
- Maintains knowledge of corporate and program policies and procedures.
- Performs appropriate authentication/characterization procedures, as appropriate.
- Monitors and reports on levels of departmental supplies.
- Provides input in the development of SOPs and departmental documentation.
- Recognizes key characteristics of products within relevant area of specialty.
- Actively acquires new lab skills and specialized knowledge.
- Reads and understands relevant scientific literature, as required.
- Summarizes data and draws meaningful conclusions and presents results in an appropriate format.
- Performs and documents appropriate action for non-conforming process or products under limited supervision.
- Enters data in notebooks, batch records or advanced databases.
- Participates in technology transfer within ATCC.
- Offers suggestions for and contributes to optimization of processes.
- Assists in training others in basic laboratory and departmental procedures, as requested.
- Monitors laboratory equipment and reports issues if equipment is not functioning within appropriate specifications.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science related field and 2-5 years of relevant experience OR
- Master's degree in a science related field and 0-3 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Works under moderate supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Sound knowledge of laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Ability to function as a participant in a team environment.
- Demonstrates aseptic techniques appropriate to assigned discipline.
- Experienced with lab skills and safety procedures including proper handling of chemicals and/or biologicals.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Communicates effectively with ATCC programs as well as customer and technical services.
- Ability to exercise judgment and make good decisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Founded in 1925, ATCC is a non-profit organization with a mission to acquire, authenticate, preserve, develop, standardize, and distribute biological materials and information for the advancement and application of scientific knowledge.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.