Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
POSITION TITLE: Communications Specialist
The Petco Foundation
SUPERVISOR: Manager, Communications and Content
LOCATION: San Antonio, Texas
The Petco Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to supporting lifesaving animal welfare work in communities across the country. Since 1999, the Petco Foundation has harnessed the power of donations made at more than 1,500 Petco stores across the country to invest more than $290 million in animal welfare organizations. With thousands of animal welfare partners, the Petco Foundation inspires and empowers communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay/neuter services, pet cancer research and treatment, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives. The Petco Foundation partners with Petco stores and animal welfare organizations to increase pet adoptions. So far, they’ve helped more than 6.5 million pets find loving families.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications, the Communications Specialist will help to execute brand activations and campaigns through content creation and project management. The successful candidate will have a breadth of skills including competency in writing and editing, intermediate graphic design, high attention to detail and proactive follow-through for internal and external campaigns and projects. They will support Petco Foundation initiatives including fundraising, adoptions, brand activations and charitable partner relations. We are looking for an experienced communicator who has a passion for animal welfare, understands nonprofit organizations, and can create an emotional connection between our stakeholders and the impact they make as Petco Foundation supporters whether it be through email design, written communication or online activations.
- Produce brand-right copy and design for internal and external communications channels.
- Ensure that all Petco Foundation communications create a consistent brand experience for internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage timelines and details for multiple simultaneous projects.
- Coordinate and help plan internal and external communications for projects such as adoption events, videos, charitable partner marketing kits, conferences, and various other marketing collateral.
- Create and manage email campaigns for multiple internal and external audiences.
- Help develop and deploy content for print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, email newsletters, brochures, post cards, annual report, direct mail, thank you letters, grant communication, website, etc.
- Partner with internal teams to select, order, and distribute branded collateral and premiums for projects.
- Help to create documents and presentations for vendors and corporate partners to demonstrate their return on investment and showcase the impact of their support.
- Work closely with content creators on campaigns and projects, as needed, to ensure a consistent message across channels.
- Using intermediate knowledge of design principles, work with graphic designer to edit and create graphics for email, social media and other mediums as needed.
- Edit and proofread documents written by colleagues and external partners to provide constructive suggestions as needed.
- Support Petco Foundation activations by working in partnership with Petco colleagues to develop content and organize details.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Positive, solutions-oriented with a strong ability to build and develop relationships with internal stakeholders, partners and teammates.
- Nimbleness, can-do attitude. Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time in order to complete them accurately and on schedule. Willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategy on the fly.
- Willingness to listen to feedback from others and find the best ways to incorporate that feedback.
- Flexibility to deal with unanticipated projects that have tight turnaround times by adjusting schedules for other projects and clearly communicating those changes to stakeholders and teammates.
- Self-motivated, good at taking initiative, and comfortable operating under a degree of ambiguity.
- Passionate about animal welfare and the Petco Foundation mission.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum Requirements: Undergraduate degree in marketing, journalism, communications or related field and 3 – 5 years of experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment.
- A strong understanding of what makes a powerful narrative and how to communicate that narrative across multiple platforms.
- An excellent communicator. Ability to write, edit and post content and copy.
- Training and experience in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience.
- Ability to demonstrate the personal and emotional impact of our work, as well as the data surrounding the measurable outcomes.
- Experience managing project details with multiple timelines and deliverables.
- Experience creating compelling messages for different audiences.
- Intermediate knowledge of graphic design principles and knowledge of how to create and edit documents in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign for various mediums.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and email marketing software.
- Proficiency in Excel including knowledge and understanding of intermediate Excel skills necessary to organize data.
- Basic understanding of Wordpress.
- Strong ability to build and develop relationships with internal stakeholders, supporters and teammates.
The above description is meant to provide a summary of the nature and level of work being performed; it should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements of the job. PETCO reserves the right to modify the content formally or informally, either verbally or in writing, at any time without advance notice.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.