School / Campus / College: Information School
Organization: Information School
Title: Postdoctoral Scholar - Center for an Informed Public (CIP)
Position Details Position Description
The University of Washington Center for an Informed Public (CIP) invites applications for up to three CIP Postdoctoral Fellows who will be hired as Postdoctoral Scholars.
The UW CIP is a multidisciplinary institute with a core mission aiming to resist strategic misinformation, promote an informed society, and strengthen democratic discourse. Located at the University of Washington, a world-class research university in the Pacific Northwest, this new Center will lead programs that span research, education, policy and outreach.
CIP Fellows will join a growing team of faculty, students, community partners, and staff all actively involved in addressing the challenges of today’s complex and dynamic information environment. Postdoctoral Fellows will be supervised by one of the Center co-founders and/or faculty, and will work closely with the entire CIP community on research projects in service of the Center’s mission. These positions will begin as early as June 2021 and offer an initial two-year term with the possibility for a third-year renewal.
The UW CIP offers an exceptional opportunity to work closely with the Center’s co-founders and affiliate faculty, including sociologists, information scientists, computer scientists, and policy experts. Located in Seattle, the position also offers opportunities for engagement with scholars and industry leaders in the area. In addition to the pursuit of individual interests, Fellows will work collaboratively with affiliated faculty groups pursuing more narrowly specified projects. Fellows may pursue projects that utilize the CIP archive of large-scale social media data, as well as design and execute new data collection efforts that utilize existing research infrastructure.
Postdoctoral Scholars are represented by UAW 4121 and are subject to the collective bargaining agreement, unless agreed exclusion criteria apply. For more information, please visit the University of Washington Labor Relations website .
- Applicants must have a PhD, JD, EdD, or foreign equivalent by date of appointment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to work in a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary environment, including demonstrated success in working with diverse populations.
We will consider candidates who have accepted tenure-track positions at another institution but with the ability to defer their start date.
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position; and explicitly addressing past, present, and/or future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion (e.g., contributions that center, address, or support under-represented groups such as women, minorities, people with disabilities, people of lower socio-economic status, among others); as well as names of two preferred CIP faculty members to serve as mentors during the appointment.
- Curriculum vitae, including names and contact information of three references.
- Two published papers, or equivalent writing samples that demonstrate expertise and fit for the position.
- A brief research statement that outlines your research achievements and goals.
- A link to a professional webpage, Google scholar page (if applicable), and github profile (if applicable).
Applications will be accepted until filled. Review of applications will begin immediately. Up to three positions are available. Interested candidates should contact Emma Spiro at email@example.com .
You can read more about the CIP at https://ischool.uw.edu/research/center-informed-public
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed,
religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information,
gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status.