The salary range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets; experience and training; licensure and certifications; and other business and organizational needs.
At WGU, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role, and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case. A reasonable estimate of the current range is:
Pay Range: $59,900.00 - $89,900.00
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
*This is a full time position*
A new kind of U. As a competency-based, student-focused, online, nonprofit university, we do things a bit differently at WGU. From the bottom up, we're designed with students in mind—particularly, the busy, working, adult student who wants to earn a bachelor's or master's degree but for whom a traditional university education simply won't do. As a Course Instructor your primary focus is student learning!
Course Instructors at WGU function in a professorial role as subject matter experts who teach and assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum. The type, length, and intensity of instructional methods vary based upon student needs. Course Instructors help students with specific questions that arise and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics. Their primary focus is bringing WGU courses of study to life through one-to-one engagement. Course Instructors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments independently- but rather wholly focus on student learning and student success. Course Instructor contribution to this team effort reflects the university’s disaggregated model. Their experience and training showcases their subject matter expertise.
Required Experience (This is a full time position)
- Minimum of 3-5+ years’ experience teaching adults in Higher Education; preferably in an online distance based model
- Master’s degree with 15 graduate hours in accounting and an active accounting professional certification (CPA, CMA, CFE, CIA, etc.)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of industry experience in Accounting
- Interest in teaching financial accounting at any level (principles, intermediate, or advanced).
- Experience providing student support and instruction; demonstrated ability to work with struggling or at-risk learners
- Ability to breakdown and disseminate difficult topics in a manner that students will understand and grasp
- Ability to travel for training, Academic Meetings and/ or Commencements
- Ability to deliver exceptional customer service (AKA “Student Obsession") to our Students
- Candidate must reside within the continental US
*Maintain a non-traditional schedule with a minimum of ten (10) hours per week outside the hours of 9 to 5 (in the employee’s home time zone). At least four hours of the 10 hours must be on a weekend day (Saturday or Sunday)*
->3-5 years teaching Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting, Internal Auditing and Accounting Research, Intermediate Accounting and Advanced Financial Accounting <-
- PhD or DBA in accounting or related discipline
- Active CPA Designation
- Active CMA Designation
- 5-10 years of online teaching experience
- Extensive professional experience
- Interest in teaching Governmental/Non-Profit Accounting
- Reside in the Pacific or Mountain time zones.
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.