This job has Expired
Collin Police Officer
2800 E. Spring Creek Parkway, Plano, Texas, 75074
This is the non-supervisory, entry-level position for Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) sworn law enforcement officers, who will ensure the safety and welfare of all students, faculty, staff and visitors, maintain peace and order while enforcing college rules, regulations, state and federal laws, and provide law enforcement protection and related services for Collin College. This is an essential position and will be required to work overtime or respond when summoned due to an emergency as determined by the College.
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Collin College in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to professional communication, integrity, leadership, respect and accountability to Collin College students and employees is essential while also illustrating commitment through the Core Values of Collin College.
This is an essential position and will be required to work overtime or respond when summoned due to an emergency as determined by the College.
- Patrol campus grounds and buildings, checking doors, windows, and gates to ensure that they are properly secured.
- Conduct preliminary criminal investigations, and accident/injury investigations and submit reports.
- Prepare criminal cases and present testimony in court.
- Make court appearances.
- Write a thorough and accurate report on every criminal complaint, accident, or other significant incidents.
- Provide assistance to all students, faculty, and visitors, and respond to calls for first aid and medical assistance.
- Apply acquired expanded skills related to analytical, technical, or operational processes.
- Apply experience and skills to complete assigned work within one's area of expertise.
- Work within clearly defined standard operating procedures and adheres to quality guidelines.
- Work under a moderate degree of supervision.
- Patrol campus to enforce laws and parking regulations.
- Provide security for special events and information to the campus community and general public.
- Conduct parking enforcement; write parking tickets, and provide directions to park in designated areas.
- Conduct crime prevention programs and surveys for students, faculty, and staff.
- Work closely with college administrators to reduce and mitigate conflicts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Perform all duties and maintains all standards in accordance with college policies, procedures and Core Values.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- State, federal, local laws knowledge
- Current legislation knowledge
- Best practice knowledge
- Districtwide systems and organizational structure knowledge
- Detailed knowledge of state statutes, Board of Trustee policies and procedures, Police Department, and federal regulations
- Interact with strong, positive interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Innovative, comprehensive and analytical thinking
- Microsoft Office and the use of software programs designed for police department use
- Proficiency in the use of firearms
- Critical analysis of issues
- Supportive of police department and college values, mission statements, goals and objectives
- Ensure compliance with police department and college policies, orders, directives, and guidelines
- Ethical and honest in interactions with others and in the performance of duties
- Provide quality control for the delivery of police department services and documentation
Physical Demands, Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Heavy Work - Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly having to move objects. Positions in this class typically include talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions, plus stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching. Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, odors, dusts, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting and intense noises, gases and workspace restrictions. In addition, incumbents may be subjected to vibrations, chemicals and oils. Frequent exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Majority of work performed outside or with exposure to risk. Frequent physical effort required.
Applicants must have 24 earned college credit hours from an accredited college or university and meet one (1) of the following experience requirements:
Two (2) years of continued police officer experience OR
Two (2) years of military experience with an honorable discharge OR
One (1) year experience as a military police officer with an honorable discharge OR
The applicant is a peace officer transferring from another state to Texas, and as determined by the Collin College Chief of Police, has sufficient prior service to meet both the college/university credit hours and police or military experience.
Licenses and Certifications
Must possess a TCOLE peace officer license
Valid Texas Driver’s License* with a driving record that meets the criteria established by CCPD
Once hired, must be able to pass Collin College Police Department’s field training program
Must be able to maintain TCOLE Peace Officer’s license throughout employment as a Peace Officer
Must be able to pass Extensive Medical screening/Drug Testing/Psychological Exam/Polygraph Exam/Background Investigation
- Individuals hired for this position may be required to drive a company vehicle. A Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) will be run in conjunction with the background check during the contingent offer stage and annually/bi-annually for the duration of employment at Collin College. Candidates who fail the original background/MVR or subsequent MVRs may not be hired and/or terminated based on the results of the report.
**This position is Security Sensitive, therefore, candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.**
Collin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*