Wireless Communication Cyber Engineer
Are you searching for meaningful work in developing innovative cyber capabilities that enable the U.S. to prevail against asymmetric threats?
Do you love to push the bounds of science and technology while solving some of the most ambitious problems facing our Nation?
Are you looking for an opportunity to build, develop, and test tools for discovering and exploiting cyber threats?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a motivated Wireless Communication Cyber Engineer to help us develop adaptive and extensible systems that help the U.S. and its allies solve tough problems in cyberspace operations. You will join a multi-disciplinary team of software engineers, advanced electronic warfare (EW) engineers, systems engineers, and domain experts to develop and integrate cyber capability solutions from concept to reality. Our hardworking team believes in learning, experimenting, and finding creative new ways to apply research. We value collaboration, and we foster a work environment of teamwork, different perspectives, and open exchange of ideas.
As a Wireless Communication Cyber Engineer, you will...
- Contribute to strategy and early concept demonstration and development for new solutions considering cyber concerns and constraints while respecting and operating within the context of other system constraints.
- Develop software defined, hardware enabled radio frequency (RF) systems supporting DoD sponsors and critical Intelligence Community (IC) partners.
- Develop, test, and integrate software-defined capabilities to meet operational requirements, with a focus on capabilities to support operations integration.
- Support testing of capabilities by building integrated testbeds and participating in lab and open-air testing to ensure successful sponsor missions.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant technical subject area.
- Have 2+ years of relevant software development experience with skills for implementing software capabilities within hardware systems.
- Have knowledge of current cybersecurity standards, cybersecurity policy issues, and cyber systems operations.
- Have expertise with several of the following tools: C++, Python, GNURadio, MATLAB, shell, Gitlab CI/CD, Docker.
- Have experience with hands-on hardware development, implementation, and systems testing.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, good organization skills, and the ability to work in team and independent settings.
- Are willing and able to travel up to 25% time (e.g., to support test activities, sponsor or vendor engagements).
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant technical subject area.
- Have 4+ years of relevant software development experience with skills for implementing software capabilities within hardware systems.
- Have experience engineering solutions that establish cyber accesses and/or deliver effects that create operational impact in constrained contexts.
- Have detailed technical understanding and operational/maintenance experience with constrained Space, Combat, Weapons, Avionics, C5ISRT, hull, mechanical, and electrical (HM&E), and other related military operational technology, including embedded systems and supporting platform network and computing environments.
- Have experience with integrated wireless communications systems including Radar, SATCOM, Cellular and other related systems.
- Posses expertise with reverse engineering of hardware systems, which could include FPGAs, RF Components, Operating Systems, Serial Interfaces, Compiled Software.
- Hold an Active Top Secret/SCI level clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*