2024 Internship – Electrical Engineer – Networked Systems & Integrated Fires
Are you looking for exciting opportunities to help determine how to best defend the United States, our armed forces, and our allies from all forms of air and missile threats?
If you are pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field, and a looking for internship opportunities to work on challenging technical problems, we would love to have you join our team.
We are seeking talented students to join our Networked Systems and Integrated Fires Group to conduct algorithm development, modeling and analysis for air and missile defense. You would become a part of the team that works on a wide range of exciting technical challenges involving sensor data processing, target tracking, multi-sensor data fusion, communications and networking, and system-of-systems design that encompasses sensors, networks, combat systems and weapons, all with the goal of developing groundbreaking solutions for distributed warfare theatres.
You will use math, engineering, physics and software skills to model, analyze and improve existing and prototype new air and missile defense systems and concepts. As you do so, you will broaden and deepen your technical knowledge and make contributions to important national security missions.
As a member of our team...
- Your primary responsibility will be contributing to the development of distributed air and missile defense systems
- You will model, analyze, and study performance of current systems, identify opportunities for improvements, and propose and develop new algorithms and concepts
- You will be a part of dynamic and collaborative group culture with many opportunities for learning and growth
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Are pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Have a theoretical knowledge and coursework in some of the following: probability theory, statistics, linear algebra, signal processing, time-frequency analysis, communications theory, machine learning
- Have good analytical skills
- Can effectively communicate ideas and results
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and ultimatley obtain a Final Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have experience using MATLAB, Python, and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling and simulation
- Have practical experience working with sensors and signals
- Have a final Secret security clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*