IT Network Engineer
Junior Network Engineer
35-Exempt Contingent Category 2
Applicant Search Category:
University Authorized FTE:
DIT-EE-Network and Infrastructure Services
Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship institution. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power. This unique proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and agencies, and a myriad of research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers, and non-profit organizations is simply unparalleled. Synergistic opportunities for our faculty and students abound and are virtually limitless in the nation’s capital and surrounding areas. The University is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance our stature of preeminence in our three missions of teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state of Maryland, and in the world.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information reported by the background check will not automatically disqualify you from employment.
Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
The IT Engineer, Junior Network Engineer, is a position within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) at the University of Maryland, College Park. This position is responsible for monitoring and maintaining the health of the university’s network and for the routine testing and analysis of all elements of the network facilities including power, software, network devices, remote, and broadband network equipment. In addition, this position will utilize software and hardware tools to identify and diagnose problems and factors affecting the network performance, and provide coverage for APC UPS systems and the network interfaces of these devices.
The campus network is a converged network that requires disciplined support and a strong propensity towards IT project management. A good understanding of campus Network Operations Center (NOC) functions along with an expertise to utilize network management systems is critical.
Benefits SummaryTop Benefits and Perks:
Exempt Benefits Summary
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Relevant experience should include experience in enterprise data networks and/or IT help desk.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work different shifts between the hours of 7am and 8pm. On-call network support may be required. Additional time may be required as needed or directed by management.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong knowledge of and support of Cisco and Aruba environments, a working knowledge of network testing equipment, and familiarity with campus wiring, including fiber optics.
- Familiarity with wireless (802.11) authentication, security and IOS, Cisco IOS software and Catalyst OS interfaces, Windows OS, Mac OS and user level familiarity with Unix OS.
- Experience with providing coverage for the campus Network Operations Center (NOC) call handling, troubleshooting, administration systems including trouble ticketing systems (ServiceNow), network management system (PRTG), and work order system (Pinnacle).
- Experience with electrical power systems for network racks and closets.
CCNA or other relevant network certifications preferred.
Salary range $72,000-$80,000
**This position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Not Applicable to This Position
Requirement to perform “on-call” duties required to maintain various networks. Some stress factors may be involved due to the nature of the operation and complexity of the duties.
This job requires the ability to install networking equipment that includes climbing ladders, lifting network equipment, working with hand tools, and accessing mechanical rooms.
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration Date
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*