Police - Officer
Georgia Highlands College is a multi-campus, state college member of the University System of Georgia. Founded in 1970 as Floyd Junior College, it now serves more than 6,000 students in Northwest Georgia and Northeast Alabama across its five locations in Rome, Cartersville, Marietta, and Dallas. GHC currently offers over 30 areas of study with associate degree and bachelor’s degree options both in the classroom and online.
We are a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for great employees to grow in a fast-paced and challenging work environment that encourages employee wellness and overall success. Our combined efforts at GHC have led to numerous awards, honors, and countless stories of success for students and employees. This includes our most recent honor of being recognized as one of the semifinalists for the 2023 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence.
This position is certified by the State of Georgia to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls on the campus. This position is extremely critical to the safety and security of students, faculty, staff, visitors, and for the protection of campus property and resources. This is a non-supervisory position.
- Is responsible to understand, support, and carry out the college’s mission, vision, and values and comply with mandates and regulations of government and accrediting bodies.
- Patrols a designated area of campus/site to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes and to enforce traffic regulations
- Take charge of and guide the work of subordinate law enforcement personnel in various situations until relieved by superior officer
- Answers calls and complaints involving accidents, fire, traffic, robberies, misdemeanors or felonies and takes necessary police action
- Investigates crimes against persons and property
- Interviews victims and witnesses
- Searches for and evaluates evidence
- Arrests person or persons suspected of crimes
- Prepares various records and reports
- Testifies in court as required
- Performs related work as required
- Graduation from a standard high school supplemented by the completion of two years of college
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience in police or related work OR any equivalent combination of education and experience; prefer associates or bachelor’s degree with experience working on a college campus
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated and meets driving record criteria established by the Department
- Must be able to work weekends, holidays, different shifts or swing shifts and at any of the GHC campuses as needed upon request
- Will fully comply with the requirements for peace officer as set forth in the Georgia Peace Officers Standard and Training Act as defined by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council. Georgia Law 92A-2100 (as amended).
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of standard police practices and techniques
- Knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances, particularly the laws of arrest
- Knowledge of first aid principles
- Ability to guide and direct subordinate law enforcement personnel and assist in training programs
- Ability to deal firmly and courteously with subordinates and the public
- Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and on own initiative, to determine proper course of action to be taken
- Ability to obtain information through interview and interrogation
- Ability to speak and write effectively – written and oral communication
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements that may be established by competent authority
Apply Before Date
Position is expected to start Jan. 1, 2024
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Highlands College, as determined by Georgia Highlands College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Successful pre-employment drug screening test will be required.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*