This job has Expired
2024 Graduate - Software Developer, Computer Science - Ocean Systems & Engineering
Do you love coding cutting-edge software in a dynamic and collaborative environment?
Are you passionate about crafting efficient software solutions to challenging technical problems?
If you are graduating with a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or a related technical field, and are eager to tackle groundbreaking challenges in the realm of real-time distributed computing, then we want YOU on our team!
We are seeking a software developer with a specialized educational background in networking and application-layer software development. You will join a hardworking team of software engineers working on collaborative and innovative technical solutions to advance the missions of our nation’s Navy. Our team is committed to developing exceptional software talent and fostering a culture of experimentation and collaboration.
As a member of our team you will…
- Build next-generation, simulation-driven solutions to help tackle complex issues related to maritime autonomy for our Navy.
- Engage in end-to-end software engineering processes within a cloud-enabled simulation framework.
- Be part of high-caliber teams of engineers focused on designing, creating, and fine-tuning simulation platforms that assess and validate the Navy’s latest algorithms and systems for autonomy.
- Contribute to multidisciplinary teams, and actively participate in software design evaluations, code reviews, and test strategy planning.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Hold a Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related technical field.
- Possess experience and/or familiarity with at least one object-oriented programming language, along with a strong understanding of object-oriented design principles. Experience with either C++, Python, or Java is preferred.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, coupled with the capability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Possess knowledge in computer networking, operating systems, hardware interfaces, databases and/or general problem-solving techniques in Software Engineering.
- Have experience in configuration management, automated software testing, continuous integrations, and/or distributed and network programming.
- Are familiar with or have experience in working with autonomous systems and machine learning algorithms.
- Have knowledge of or experience in developing middleware software, such as Data Distribution Service or ZeroMQ.
- Possess classroom experience in data science and statistical analysis.
- Have experience in a modern software development environment, such as Agile or Kanban, that includes automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, and DevSecOps protocols.
- Hold an active Department of Defense (DoD) Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*