This job has Expired
Deputy Executive Administrative Assistant
Are you a self-starter who is always looking for ways to do things better or more efficiently?
Do you enjoy helping staff and supervisors to ensure efficient functioning of schedules and office systems?
Do you thrive to deliver high quality admin support in a timely manner?
Are you a critical thinker who is also well organized and able to retain information?
Do you love to solve unusual and challenging problems?
Are you highly skilled in office administration?
Most of all, do you enjoy working with creative teams of communications and design professionals?
If so, we could make a great team! Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab is seeking an Executive Administrative Assistant to join our Communications Department.
JHU APL’s Communications Department is responsible for increasing and improving access to communications as well as sharing the Laboratory's impact internally and externally to APL. The Communications Department is approximately one hundred sixty staff who are responsible for visual and communications products that range from classified technical papers to the design of conceptual displays and beyond. It’s a vibrant team of creatives who must be agile and responsive to the many needs of the Lab.
As a Deputy Executive Administrative Assistant …
- Your primary responsibility will be to provide administrative support to the Communications Managing Executive and Finance and Business Operation Group Supervisor. This includes proactively managing calendars and meeting logistics, preparing agendas, and ensuring conference rooms are ready for hybrid meetings.
- You will work closely with the Executive Admin and serve as the backup for that position when coverage is required.
- You will contribute to the Department success by working closely with the Financial and Business Operations Group and providing operational services to the Communications Department.
- You will develop a thorough knowledge and understanding of the Communications Department (including types of work, unique needs, culture, skillsets) and recommend initiatives that support and further the Department goals.
- You will be responsible for providing administrative and operations support and coordination to our team of communications professionals.
- You will process p-cards, arrange travel for team members, and process reimbursements.
- You will organize and manage group shared folders and files.
- You will represent the Communications Department on APL committees and communicate effectively within the Department and other parts of the Laboratory. You will coordinate projects and develop effective working relationships with your peers across the Laboratory.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- An Associate’s degree or equivalent level of experience with a minimum of 5 years of relevant administrative experience.
- Recent experience successfully supporting executives within a professional organization.
- Proven ability to identify and resolve administrative issues independently and collaboratively through use of internal and external resources.
- Initiative and persistence in pursuing administrative needs, meeting quick turnaround demands, and resolving problems with a sense of urgency and demonstrated capability to anticipate, prioritize and expedite numerous tasks from multiple sources.
- Possess the ability to develop and assess alternative approaches and to solve routine problems in a different, more efficient way.
- Decorum commensurate with executive level engagement demonstrating ability to interact with all levels of staff and visitors with discretion and tact, and discretion in handling sensitive personnel and organizational information; must be able to lead informally.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to resolve conflict.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written and verbal), and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in use of office applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Are able to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, or other related discipline, with 10+ years of administrative experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of APL practices and procedures, travel processes, purchasing, budgetary, and security interactions.
- Strong understanding of requirements needed to work classified programs.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*