Classified Network Engineer
Do you love networking?
Are you passionate about securing and supporting the nation's critical classified networks?
Do you thrive in an inclusive and diverse workplace?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are ranked as one of Computerworld 's Top Places to Work in IT 5 years running and we are seeking a Classified Network Engineer to help manage and operate four isolated classified networks. As a member of our team, you'll work and collaborate with a small team of hardworking network engineers and partner with our APL enterprise network team. Our team is committed to providing outstanding service to our customers and our IT counterparts within APL. We strive to build a team oriented environment and value both team and personal accomplishments.
As a Classified Network Engineer...
- Administer and secure network infrastructure to include switches, routers, and firewalls
- Provide operational and engineering expertise for APL’s enterprise Classified networks to include:
- Engineering design, technology implementations and technology refreshes
- Creation of supporting documentation such as architecture drawing, test plans, device configurations, processes and procedures
- Continuously sustain appropriate security procedures and network configurations to ensure compliance with mandates.
- Provide technical expertise to customers, sector technical staff, and other classified network engineers that manage standalone classified environments
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Have 10+ years experiencing working with Cisco IOS or similar.
- Currently maintain Cisco CCNP certification or equivalent
- Familiarity configuring, managing, and troubleshooting TACLANEs, to include GEM One.
- Possess hands-on experience administering/maintaining classified computer networks.
- Successfully led an engineering effort from concept development to implementation, providing regular progress updates to stakeholders and driving the project to completion.
- Demonstrated sound deductive reasoning and thought processes.
- Have experience with applying DoD STIGs on network switches/routers.
- Maintain a current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ or CISSP).
- Are willing and able to work outside normal working hours to complete critical maintenance and resolve outages.
- Hold an active Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have experience working with Arista EOS and/or Palo Alto PAN-OS
- Have experience with scripting and use of automated tools.
- Have experience working/maintaining SolarWinds.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*