Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities, shared governance, or any program/departmental leadership role.
1. Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
2. Possession of a Master’s degree in history OR Bachelor's degree in history AND Master's in political science, humanities, geography, area studies, women's studies, social science or ethnic studies, OR the equivalent.
1. Ph.D. in History or the equivalent
2. College-level instructional experience in historical fields, including U.S. history, and one of the following: either World history or Western Civilization.
3. Community College level experience teaching History students, including lectures and course content delivery designed to provide History students with practical skills, knowledge, and experience, including through written and objective assessments.
4. Experience with techniques and equipment required in teaching subject areas in lectures, discussions, and course management systems both for in-person and online environments (e.g. proficiencies with CANVAS, Zoom Learning Platform, etc.)
5. Demonstrate teaching pedagogy adaptable to a variety of learning styles including an emphasis on interactive multimedia, research, technology resources, and hands-on experience.
6. In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate the following abilities:
· teach and communicate effectively with academically and culturally diverse students using inclusive and equity driven practices;
· work closely and cooperatively with faculty and support staff;
· develop curriculum for evolving fields in the practice of history (e.g. history of technology, history of science, environmental history, history of gender, race, & class);
· show flexibility and ability to work as a member of a team of professionals;
· communicate articulately and effectively with individuals differing in age, gender, ethnicity, educational, and economic background;
· encourage students to engage in their own learning and motivate them to develop critical thinking skills;
· change systems of teaching delivery to meet differing student needs and able to adapt to change easily.
7. Awareness regarding the complexity of and the relationship among society, politics, and historical interpretations and an ability to facilitate difficult conversations on these topics in the classroom.WORKING CONDITIONS:Environment: Indoor, office environment.
Physical Abilities:(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)Hearing and speaking to exchange information.Vision sufficient to read various materials.Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching. Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally. Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs. APPLICATION PACKET:
A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdfApplicants will be REQUIRED to submit transcripts for salary placement purposes. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant’s expense. If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date. Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.htmlHIRING RANGE: $67,090.90 - $110,186.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience.For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:https://hr.fhda.edu/_faculty-information.htmlExcellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.htmlTERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per yearSTARTING DATE: Winter or Spring 2024Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.For more information about our application process contact:Employment ServicesFoothill-De Anza Community College District12345 El Monte RoadLos Altos Hills, California 94022Email: firstname.lastname@example.org://hr.fhda.edu/This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*