Through the AmeriCorps Texas grant program, Texas Southmost College (TSC) will have AmeriCorps members who will 1) increase communication about and access to campus resources and support and 2) increase engagement in campus activities and with academic support services at TSC ins Brownsville, Texas. At the end o the first program year, the he AmeriCorps members will be responsible for increasing TSC students’, who ewer served by the program, fall-to-spring persistence rate to 75% and fall-to-fall persistence rate of 63%
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Contact students about upcoming campus events, volunteer opportunities, and student organizations
- Plan and implement campus events under the direction of supervisor
- Design and distribute student life promotional materials
- Plan and participate in outreach efforts for their divisions/department
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Members are required to wear their uniform with AmeriCorps logo l times of service. Members are required to adhere to all rules and regulations as outlines in their Member Service Agreement
- Adhered to responsible work habits, such as reporting for service on-time, staying on task, being friendly and helpful on site and in the community, and maintaining a professional manner and appearance. Members are required to complete and submit a biweekly timesheet to the appropriate onsite superior for signature and approval.
- Members are required to call in to the appropriate site supervisor and any relevant site staff when absent or late to the program or scheduled service event. Chronic tardiness and absenteeism is ground for suspension and/or dismissal. Members who miss three consecutive days or more of schedule service due to illness or other compelling circumstance, such as a family emergency, must provide a doctor’s note or other similar documentation explaining the reason for the absences.
- Members must have a strong commitment to community service, to communicating effectively with staff, with fellow members, community partners and AmeriCoprps staff. Member mush also exhibit a strong work ethics (attendance, record-keeping, completing timesheets in a timely fashion, etc). members are required to adhere to all codes of conduct and or related policies and procedures.
- AmeriCoprs member, at least 18 years of age, are required to under a four-part National Service Criminal History Check. Their position is contingent on the results of this check and members may not begin service until results have been received and adjudicated.
- This position will serve as minimum of 900 hours during their term, which on average, is 24 hours per week. Schedules are worked out with the direct supervisor. All members are expected to participate in centralize AmeriCorps trainings- including, but not limited to initial kick off training and Life after AmeriCorps training. Members are also required to participate in national service days including 9/11 Day of Service, MKL King Day or Service and National AmeriCorps week.
Required Education and Experience
- Enrolled as a student at Texas Southmost College (TSC)
- Must pass a four-part National Service Criminal History Check
Preferred Education and Experience
Certificates and Licensures
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Disaster Relief Effort:
In the event of a local, state, or federal disaster declaration, AmeriCorps member may be asked on a volunteer basis or be required by OneStar to activate to assist in disaster response and recovery activities within their communities. This may involve virtual service opportunities or in -person service opportunities. The may include serve opportunities outside of the member’s standard service hours or in place of their standard service duties. In the event of a large-scare, high needs local, state or federal disaster AmeriCoprs member may voluntarily or be required by OneStar to deploy to an area outside of their service area to assist in disaster response an re recovery activities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Are you able to perform these essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation?
ð With Accommodations
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions Summary
Transcripts (unofficial) are required to be attached to applications for all positions with an educational requirement (Faculty/Staff/Administrative).
Your application is not considered complete until all required documents have been attached.
Attachments must be in PDF or Microsoft Word format and must be no larger than 2 MB.
You will not be able to attach documents after your application has been submitted.
Please Note: Official transcripts are only required if recommended for hire. Please Note: Official transcripts are only required if recommended for hire.
Official transcripts shall be sent directly from the issuing institution to the College District’s Office of Human Resources and must include documentation of all credit earned, including the education requirements that specifically qualifies the applicant for the position. The address to send all transcripts is:
Texas Southmost College
Office of Human Resources
80 Fort Brown, Tandy 105
Brownsville, Texas 78520
For eTranscripts please use email address: email@example.com
The College District recognizes equivalent credits and degrees earned from foreign universities. The equivalency shall be determined by translation and evaluation from a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For more information please visit: www.naces.org.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*