Facility Director/Scientific Director of the Cell Processing Laboratory
Updated: Aug 17, 2023
Department: DOM Hematology
Job Opening ID: 57944
Reports To: Director of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Program
Working Title: Facility Director/Scientific Director of the Cell Processing Laboratory
Department: DOM Hematology
Bargaining Unit: 99
Payroll Job Code: 000378
Job Location: UCI Campus- Irvine
Percent of Time: 100%
Work Schedule: 8-5, M-F
Employee Class: Career
Cancer-related clinical and translational research is under the purview of the Stern Center of the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, its director, and the Associate Director for Clinical Sciences. The Director of the Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Program is a member of the faculty within the Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine with the usual reporting structure therein. Additionally, the Chief Medical Officer for the Cancer Center will be responsible for the coordination of clinical and clinical research activities across clinical units and Departments.
The Manager of the UCI Cellular Processing Laboratory will have a broad range of responsibilities that maintain the viability of CPL for storage and preparing for infusion of a variety of internally and externally manufactured cell-based therapeutics. The Director will have direct oversight of all aspects of the cellular products processed and infused to patients at UCI. The Director will report administratively to the Director of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Program, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, in conjunction with input from the cGMP production facility steering committee. This reporting structure is consistent with FACT accreditation requirements and the expectation that the cell processing laboratory will be used by investigators across the entire biomedical spectrum residing within UCI and UCI Health.
In addition to the salary range listed below, we offer a wealth of benefits to make working at UCI even more rewarding. These benefits may include medical insurance, sick and vacation time, retirement savings plans, and access to a number of discounts and perks. Please utilize the links listed here to learn more about our compensation practices and benefits .
$100,600.00 - $190,800.00 (Annual Salary)
- At least 5 years of experience in research roles in a CPL/GMP with progressively complex responsibilities
- Advanced degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Expertise in the processing of specific cellular products (e.g. hematopoietic stem cells or commercial cellular preparations [CAR-T cells]) including selection, cryopreservation, quality control, and release criteria. Ability to work in full body suit and with face mask and gloves for hours in a controlled environment, such as a cell processing room.
- In depth knowledge of FACT regulations and criteria for certification, facility policies, Health Care regulations, policies and procedures, (e.g. HIPAA, etc). In depth knowledge of cGTP laboratory policies and procedures as documented in SOPs. Knowledge of standard precautions and biosafety. Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and laboratory safety regulations.
- Ability to work well under pressure to meet commitments and to remain flexible with a variety of changing demands. Ability to manage several projects or tasks simultaneously and to exercise appropriate judgment when prioritizing projects of assignments. Organizational skills sufficient to prioritize duties in an ever-changing environment. Ability to work as a member of a team and to assist colleagues as needed. Ability to function and work in a diverse work environment.
- Must possess technical vocabulary to meet facility needs. Must possess knowledge of medical terminology, chemistry, cell biology and molecular biology and technical knowledge to complete assigned tasks.
- Knowledge of personal computer, word processing, data management, and spreadsheet software. Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Ability to lead discussions, to particulate test procedures, and to make effective presentations. Utilize effective listening and questioning techniques.
- Must be able to write clear technical reports in the scientific format. Must be able to maintain logs and documentation in the same manner.
- Maintains appropriate interdepartmental communication. Adherence to excellent customer service principles. Tact and diplomacy skills to meet the needs of a highly interactive position.
- Ability to listen, collect information, and give instructions in an effort to support, clarify, or resolve problems. Teaching and communication skills necessary for interactions with clinicians, clinical research coordinators, students, residents, postdoctoral fellows, and faculty attendings.
- Terminal degree in a related field preferred (PhD, JD, MD, etc.).
- Previous experience in a managerial function is preferred
Special Conditions Required:
- The candidate must be willing to be trained for a period of at least 3-6 months in a facility with extensive experience in cell processing for transplantation and cellular therapy.
Special Conditions Preferred:
- Experience in or knowledge in cell processing/manufacturing is preferred.
Conditions of Employment:
The University of California, Irvine (UCI) seeks to provide a safe and healthy environment for the entire UCI community. As part of this commitment, all applicants who accept an offer of employment must comply with the following conditions of employment:
- Background Check and Live Scan
- Legal Right to work in the United States
- Vaccination Policies
- Smoking and Tobacco Policy
- Drug Free Environment
The following additional conditions may apply, some of which are dependent upon business unit or job specific requirements.
- California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
- Pre-Placement Health Evaluation
Details of each policy may be reviewed by visiting the following page - https://hr.uci.edu/new-hire/conditions-of-employment.php
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy .
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce along with honoring unique experiences, perspectives, and identities. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
UCI provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities upon request. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (949) 824-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Share: mail +1 on Google Tweet Share on Facebook Share on LinkedIn
Apply for this Job
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*