Postdoctoral Associate- Nutrition and Aging
Apply now »
Title: Postdoctoral Associate- Nutrition and Aging
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Work Location: Houston, TX
Salary Range: Per NIH Guidelines
FLSA Status: Exempt
Requisition ID: 16731
The Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas is seeking a Post Doc that will support research initiatives at the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center. The candidate will be responsible for planning, completing and supervising research projects in accordance with general plans approved by the investigator. The successful candidate will lead the project aimed to assess the mechanisms by lifestyle therapy plus metformin slows the aging process in older adults with obesity thru positive effects on the hallmarks of aging including cellular senescence, oxidative stress and inflammation, and telemore shortening. Our translational laboratory involves hormonal, nutritional, and lifestyle interventions to reverse the metabolic and physical complications of aging, including sarcopenic obesity and type 2 diabetes. The candidate will work with the PI to present abstracts at scientific meetings, write and publish manuscripts, assist with grant submissions, and develop his/her career.
- Plans and conducts research experiments, evaluating and analyzing, developing research techniques and performing applications required to assess the effects of intensive interventions including but not limited to:
- Immunohistochemistries of muscle/fat tissues for cellular senescence, inflammation, fiber type, and satellite cells
- Elisa's and mutliplexing for markers of inflammation, oxidative damage, mitochondrial function, telomere length, etc
- MRI and HR-pQCT analyses of bone microarchitecture
- BMD and bone strength by finite element analyses
- RT-PCR/nanostring for gene expression and western blot for protein analyses
- Performs general biological techniques to study sarcopenic obesity and the effect of interventions.
- Conducts literature searches and summarizes information in an appropriate format for a particular study.
- Develops and modifies computer programs.
- Oversees the maintenance of lab equipment and environment.
- Works with the PI to present abstracts at scientific meetings, write and publish manuscripts, assist with grant submissions, and develop his/her career.
- Engages in clinical and translational research involving hormonal, nutritional, and behavioral and lifestyle interventions to retard or reverse the metabolic and physical complications of aging, including sarcopenic obesity and type 2 diabetes and the interactions with markers of inflammation .
- Collects and evaluate datas, oversees data and sample collection procedures, conducts data analyses/presentation, and write up of manuscripts, assists in supervising staff and students, works with collaborators to develop and conduct related projects, assists in development of grant proposals, and presents work at seminars.
- Conducts the study in accordance with the timelines as stipulated in the research grant, documents and interprets results of experiments and reports to principal investigator.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Great communication skills, well-organized, pleasant personality and works well with human research participants.
- Good knowledge of microsoft office including MS office.
- Team player and reliable.
- Willing to learn and develop new skills.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
Apply now »
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*