PT Math Instructor
Teaching (90% of Time)
- Teach various courses in developmental and college level mathematics.
- Use instructional methodology appropriate to the audience and to the student (e.g., lecture, demonstration, group discussion, technology-enhanced delivery, computer-assisted delivery, and distance delivery). Must be able to explain and deliver materials in a variety of ways to meet the needs of a broad range of learning activities.
- Evaluate students in accordance with the criteria in the course outline and other applicable college policies and procedures. Is responsible for turning in grades according to college policy and procedure.
- Create a course syllabus for each course taught which includes, but is not limited to, course outcomes, course structure, materials to be covered, grading criteria, due dates for materials, exam dates and office hours.
- Work effectively with colleagues and students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, demonstrating an ability to work with others in a courteous and cooperative fashion.
- Ensure compliance with all Southwestern Oregon Community College rules, regulations, and policies.
- Demonstrate continued professional growth by staying current in and expanding knowledge of teaching techniques.
Performs Other Duties and Special Projects as Required/Assigned
A Master’s degree in mathematics or a related field. Only degrees received from an accredited institution will be accepted; accreditation must be recognized by the office of degree authorization, US Department of Education, as required by ORS 348.609. Final candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for required degree
A minimum of two years demonstrated college teaching experience, preferably in a community college.
Final candidates will be subject to a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Successful applicants for this position must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Knowledge and ability to instruct various audiences, both individuals and groups, taking into account various learning modalities and methods.
- Knowledge of computers and ways to integrate appropriate technologies into the Mathematics curriculum.
- Ability to use instructional delivery methods which enhance a broad public access to post-secondary education.
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with individuals of diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives, and abilities
- Ability to evaluate student progress both empirically and holistically and to prescribe and develop curriculum materials for individuals and classes.
- Ability to motivate and inspire students.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English with others both orally and in written form, which includes the ability to restate at various language levels, to simplify, and to use demonstrations, which relate to previous knowledge and concrete experience.
- Ability to use instructional delivery methods, which reflect an adult orientation.
- Ability to work cooperatively with department members and members of the college community in meetings and on projects.
- Ability to review, understand, apply and share concepts presented in training programs, conferences and/or professional literature.
- Willingness to teach at various hours as required.
Applicants for this position possessing one or more of the following knowledge, skills and abilities with receive preferred consideration through the selection process.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OR LICENSES:
Must reside in the State of Oregon. Southwestern Oregon Community College is unable to support out of state employment at this time.
Southwestern Oregon Community College only accepts applications through this online application system. We want you to be successful in applying with us. We highly encourage you to complete and submit your application in advance of the deadline.
For assistance with this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical assistance with your application, please call (855) 524-5627.
Please note: We recognize that our application process can be lengthy, so before you begin, please read all of the stated requirements to determine if you meet them. Applicants must meet all of the stated minimum/special qualifications and additional requirements to be considered for this position. Based on your responses to the qualifying questions, the system may automatically screen you out from further consideration.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*