Grand Rapids Promise Zone Coordinator
GRAND RAPIDS PROMISE ZONE COORDINATOR
Job ID: 1552
August 3, 2023
Department: Grand Rapids Promise Zone
Employee Group: Meet and Confer Handbook
Schedule: Full Time, Non-Exempt
Compensation: $20.00 per hour
Benefits: Full Time
Reports to: Director, Grand Rapids Promise Zone
Posting Closes: August 17, 2023
The Grand Rapids Promise Zone Success Coordinator will provide direct services to students in support of the Grand Rapids Promise Zone’s efforts to increase the college going culture for Grand Rapids students through recruitment, transition to GRCC/post-secondary education, persistence, retention and completion. This person will operate in a case management student services role, focused on building relationships and outreach, within our K-12 partner schools, and students’ transition to GRCC. Activities include recruiting, events/programming, connecting with students and developing partnerships with designated K-12 schools. This position requires high-touch case management. Regular communications with students, high school and GRCC staff through various means such as e-mail, phone call, classroom visits, events and face to face conversation is expected. The Grand Rapids Promise Zone Success Coordinator is expected to be knowledgeable about community, high school and campus resources for referrals and creative strategies to encourage and
● Build relationships with prospective and current Promise Zone students in designated high school territory.
● Promote the Promise Zone scholarship to eligible students and families.
● Maintain current knowledge of Promise Zone, GRCC, and partner high school processes. This will include, but is not limited to, eligibility requirements, GRCC application/enrollment steps, and coordinating high school processes.
● In collaboration with high school partner(s), provide case management services:
● Help students create post-secondary plans
● Refer student concerns to appropriate high school or GRCC service area, community resources and services, as needed.
● Facilitate targeted workshop as needed and defined by the Promise Zone department and/or high school partner(s)
● Encourage students to complete targeted interventions and utilize resources.
● Record notes of student interactions, referrals, resources and interventions as applicable.
● Establish productive relationships with assigned partner high schools
● Learn about existing systems that provide support to your students
● Determine how you can partner and assist in current activities and provide additional resources to support post-secondary plans and expand services to students and families
● Plan necessary events to support the enrollment process at GRCC. This may include application days, FAFSA workshops, testing days, and new student orientations.
● Track and monitor student progress toward goal achievement.
● Maintain current knowledge of academic and occupational degrees, as well as job training programs.
● Assist students with course registration, admissions process, financial aid and other related topics, as needed
● Create communication plans that provide relevant information to students, families and K-12 partners that may include print, texting and email
● Maintain contact with Promise Zone students throughout the duration of their eligibility period
● Engage in regular communication with GRCC staff/faculty and partner high school staff
● Support college-wide activities such as orientation, Raider Rally, Open Houses, etc.
● Input and report student data as needed.
● Attend regular team meetings.
● Assist in creating content and maintaining Promise Zone social media channels
● Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
● Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA's will be trained and responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
● Other duties as assigned
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Master’s degree preferred.
● Degree in Higher Education, Social Work, or related field preferred.
● Minimum 1 year of work experience in higher education or post-secondary planning required (preferably in student support services). Experience can include graduate assistantship, internship, or practicum experiences.
● Work experience with at-risk populations required.
● Experience with high school students preferred.
● Bilingual Spanish – English preferred.
● Ability to relate to diverse high school and community college student populations.
● High level of energy, enthusiasm, and the ability to be innovative and creative.
● Ability to organize work, handle multiple tasks, and meet timelines in a multi-project environment.
● Proficient in use of electronic student information systems (PeopleSoft), Microsoft Office (especially Excel), content relationship management (CRM) and other Internet applications preferred.
● Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
● Knowledge of data reporting systems; experience with data tracking and preparing reports preferred.
● Ability to maintain a positive customer and student oriented approach in a demanding work environment.
● Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
● Proven experience in working with diverse populations both with individuals and groups.
● Compliance with FERPA guidelines.
● Understanding of the mission of community colleges.
● Ability to work collaboratively.
● The position requires long periods of sitting, standing, reading and writing, listening and speaking.
● Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
● Must be able to communicate effectively and efficiently both verbally and in writing.
● Must be able to effectively manage high stress student issues and concerns.
● Must be comfortable with public speaking.
● GRCC will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Compliance information is available on our policies website.
● Must be able to work flexible hours (i.e. evenings) including occasional weekends.
● Must be able to commute between campus locations and travel locally to participate in recruitment, testing, and intake activities in area High Schools.
● The College Success Center setting is a shared office environment (open cubicles) where coaches are accessible to students at any given time.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
GRCC is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume. The opportunity to apply for this position will close at the end of the day on the close date referenced at the top of this job posting. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
GRCC uses an Evidence Based Selection Process, where we make data driven hiring decisions to help mitigate
bias throughout the hiring process. As part of this process, candidates will participate in assessments (cognitive
and behavioral), reference checks and interviews.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment,
including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*