Community Outreach Coordinator
The role of the Community Outreach Coordinator is to develop and expand our volunteer and community engagement program in our Western service area, which includes the Lafayette facility and nearby parishes. This position is responsible for organizing outreach efforts in the western parishes of Second Harvest Food Bank, with the goal of raising awareness about volunteer opportunities and arranging community engagement activities and events.
The role reports directly to the Public Relations and Marketing Manager. Internally, the position will primarily collaborate with the operations, impact, and development departments. Externally, the position will assist in coordinating outreach opportunities with businesses, organizations, food partners, partner agencies, media, and vendors.
Second Harvest Food Bank (SHFB) believes that each employee contributes significantly to the company's success; that contribution is not limited to the work identified, assigned tasks, and overall responsibilities. Each employee is expected to offer his/her talents, expertise, and services whenever necessary to achieve company goals.
- Develop and maintain a strong volunteer and community outreach program in our Western region.
- Recruit new volunteers using various outreach efforts throughout the service area.
- Collaborate with the Repack Specialist to oversee new volunteers’ orientation and supervision of large volunteer special events.
- Communicate all volunteer activities to the appropriate teams and provide frequent updates to the Repack Specialist.
- Collaborate with the Repack Specialist to create a safe and engaging volunteer experience.
- Recruit and oversee all offsite volunteer opportunities and events.
- Manage and track volunteers using SHFB's volunteer software such as Volunteer Hub.
- Accurately track and report timely on volunteer and outreach activity.
- Implement and follow the SHFB Volunteer Policy and Procedure Manual.
- Promote SHFB through facility tours, speaking engagements, community fairs, or events.
- Assist the Public Relations and Marketing Manager with the planning and execution of special events.
- Assist with collecting and curating photos and stories for social media and marketing materials.
- Assist in creating marketing materials to increase engagement and brand visibility.
- Conduct surveys to gather feedback on volunteer experience, SHFB programming, and special events.
- Collaborate with other Second Harvest partners to engage the community and build brand awareness.
- Monitor KPIs and create reports on the success and failure of outreach campaigns and strategies.
- Participate in meetings and committees as required.
- Serve as a backup for telephone, email, and walk-in communications for the Public Relations Manager.
- Adhere to all SHFB policies and procedures.
- Maintain a professional and courteous demeanor.
- Perform additional duties as assigned to support the organization's needs.
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent practical knowledge), 1-2 years’ experience with direct contact with the public involving volunteer coordination, community outreach, marketing, and/or customer service.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
- Knowledge of standard office management practices and procedures, including email etiquette, record-keeping, prioritization of work, and using standard office equipment, including computers.
- Proficient knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to master in-house software and reporting systems.
- Ability to be self-motivated and willing to take initiative.
- Results-driven, focused and goal-oriented.
- Excellent problem-solving, time-management, and writing skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills with an emphasis on customer service.
Allowable Substitutions: A combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered instead of education and experience at the company’s discretion.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $42,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- community outreach: 2 years (Preferred)
- marketing: 2 years (Preferred)
- volunteer coordination: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*