Postdoctoral Scholar, Physiology & Cell Biology
Postdoctoral Scholar, Physiology & Cell Biology
The University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. Final applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact our recruitment helpline at (775) 784-1495 or email@example.com . For UNR Med professional job postings, please contact the Office of Professional Recruitment at (775) 784-6778.
The Department of Physiology and Cell Biology invites applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar working under Dr. Ebenezer Yamoah. This role will screen auditory response properties using chemical compound libraries, identify and test drug candidates that restore functions of inner ear sensory cells, lateral wall, and functions. In particular, the response properties of the aging inner ear and hearing and the electrophysiological changes will be evaluated. This role will interact closely with the PI research group.
The ideal candidate will have experience in working with sensory systems and Leydig cells. They will have a background in auditory, vestibular and cellular neuroscience and prior experience in working with cells such as Leydig cells or have experience in RT- PCR test examination of PCR premix and reagents. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in molecular biochemistry and physiology; specifically, the ability to isolate inner ear sensory cells within 5-minute intervals and to record from or conduct biochemical experiments of hair cells for a period of ~15-30 minutes before the cells are no longer viable for functional recordings. Additionally, they will demonstrate technical and scientific skills and excellence in scientific writing, inner ear experimental design, and data analysis. This role will support current and planned experiments in hearing loss and vestibular disorders and will have the opportunity to develop their own research interests.
- Responsible for the design, real-time data analysis, and interpretation of electrophysiological and histological analyses of auditory and vestibular tissue and studies.
- Carry out in vitro/Vivo studies using genetically modified cell lines/mouse models.
- Analyze, interpret, and present molecular and electrophysiological data.
- Genomic and transcriptomic analysis, immunohistochemistry staining, imaging, Western Blot, first tissue collection, and culture are necessary.
- Write scientific reports and prepare appropriate documentation to support applications for regulatory agency filing.
- Write and submit manuscripts.
- Perform other duties assigned.
- Ph.D./M.D./Pharm.D. with molecular physiology/biological/pharmacology/molecular biology background, obtained within 5 years from start date.
- At least two years of experience with molecular biology, and electrophysiology, and development in biotech, pharmaceutical companies or academic laboratories.
- Proven knowledge and experience in vitro/Vivo assessment of auditory functions, and evaluation techniques related to sensory physiology.
- Prior experience with mouse disease models, microRNA research, and therapeutic metabolic drug screening and development.
- Appropriate modeling and computer software experience and proficiency in computer programs software, i.e., WinNonlin, NONMEM, or similar programs.
Ebenezer Yamoah, PhD
- Current CV
- Letter of application (cover letter) describing your current research interests
- names and contact information for three professional references
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med)
For over 50 years the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med) has trained physicians who are leading the way to 'A Healthy Nevada', nation, and world. Community-based and research-intensive, UNR Med is committed to our four-part mission of education, research, clinical service, and diversity. We show this commitment through our demonstrated core values: people are our strength, we innovate and improve, we serve with integrity, and we success with trust and respect.
The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine is an inclusive and engaged community. We recognize that diverse faculty and leaders add value to the educational experience and promote excellence in our teaching, patient care, and research missions. We seek applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to our mission and uphold our core values.
Our mission has guided our growth in graduating the next generation of primary and specialty care physicians and medical researchers while maintaining personalized instruction. The School of Medicine has statewide outreach with a local touch providing patient care, health services, and training physicians in Reno, Nevada and in the state’s rural communities. We are expanding provider education to train medical specialists as Medical Doctors as well as Speech Pathologists and Physician Assistants. We are actively expanding technologically-advanced infrastructure to keep pace with our world-class research to meet the needs of students, patients, and researchers. We seek to create an environment that serves all who enter our doors, from the physicians who teach our learners to our employees, patients, and students.
This posting is open until filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a sufficient number of applications are received, or a hiring decision has been made.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
A background check will be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
HR will attempt to verify academic credentials upon receipt of hiring documents. If the academic credentials cannot be verified, HR will notify the faculty member that an official transcript of their highest degree must be submitted within thirty days of the faculty member’s first day of employment.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
Applicants hired on a federal contract may be subject to E-Verify.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
For positions that require driving, evidence of a valid driver's license will be required at the time of employment and as a condition of continued employment.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*