Chief Executive Officer
Full Job Description
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Alexandria, VA
Reports To: Board of Directors
The core role of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is to provide leadership and direction for IRUSA. The CEO shall have overall accountability, responsibility, and authority for the management of the business and affairs of Islamic Relief USA in accordance with the strategic plan and objectives adopted and approved by the Board, and the CEO will collaborate with, and be accountable to, the Board.
A summary of this is reflected as follows:
- Operationalize the current strategic plan of IRUSA. The CEO will ensure effective implementation of the strategy, drive implementation and report on results.
- Strengthen the internal culture of the Organization by:
- Fostering staff engagement with our strategic vision and our mission as a humanitarian organization, ensuring opportunities for staff to have a participatory role in operationalizing our strategic plan.
- Building active collaboration among departments and between staff within departments.
- Cultivate the engagement of intended beneficiaries of IRUSA programming by providing opportunities for their participation in program design and implementation.
- Strengthen the branding of IRUSA as a worldwide leader in relief and capacity development of our intended beneficiaries.
- Develop alternate revenue sources beyond our traditional donor base.
- Identify and cultivate alternate areas for the future growth and sustainability of the Organization.
- Strengthen relationships with IRUSA’s donors by raising their awareness of, and fostering engagement with, the strategic vision of IRUSA and consistent assessment of donors’ intentions and expectations.
- Cultivate relationships with nontraditional revenue sources and NGO stakeholders, including, but not limited to, government agencies, foundations, and NGO agencies which significantly impact the scope and direction of humanitarian work.
- Position the Organization to expand its position as a thought leader in the field of humanitarianism and as a credible resource for policy formulation and implementation.
- Provide inspirational leadership that leads all IRUSA stakeholders to coalesce around the strategic vision of IRUSA.
The CEO manages the executive team, who have responsibility for conducting the business and affairs of the Corporation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fundraising & Communications: •As a spokesperson for Islamic Relief USA, enhances IRUSA’s public image and reputation and protects and strengthens the Islamic Relief brand.
- Partnering with national societies and leaders within the Humanitarian Sector.
- Developing the strategic direction of the Islamic Relief USA and obtaining the approval of the Board, implementing and ensuring its effective operations, and keeping the Board informed in a timely manner of the progress of the Organization on the achievement of or material deviations from the strategic goals.
- Establishing effective fundraising programs and initiatives for corporate, government, and individual donors and instituting proper organizational stewardship of these gifts.
- Expand local revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing humanitarian programs, operations, and regional expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Partnerships & New Business:
- Partnering with diverse communities and interfaith partners to establish an inclusive organizational culture.
- Developing Islamic Relief USA’s annual business plan and obtaining the approval of the Board, including the financial and budget requirements to achieve that plan and for delivery of results against that plan.
- Design the national expansion and complete the strategic business planning process for the program expansion into new markets.
- Build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion site.
- Being an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results in an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional and national replication.
Leadership & Management:
- Instituting transparency in Islamic Relief’s operations to foster financial stewardship and to provide the highest level of service to the public.
- Assuring the accuracy and integrity of Islamic Relief’s financial information, reporting and disclosure requirements, internal controls, and management information systems.
- Complying with applicable legal, regulatory, ethical, Islamic Relief’s Code of Conduct, and other corporate compliance requirements.
- Designing and implementing appropriate systems and controls that identify and mitigate operational, financial, reputational, and other significant risks to IRUSA.
- Developing a corporate culture that encourages creative input from the staff and other stakeholders related to operational efficiency, thought leadership, and financial sustainability of the Organization.
- Managing business operations and service delivery in the Islamic Relief’s key lines of business to meet the strategic goals and objectives of the Organization..
- Supervising and evaluating the performance of the executive team and recommending the compensation that complies with the Organization's pay grade and pay structure, which is fair in its application, and is in compliance with IRS compensation guidelines for non-profit organizations.
- Transforming the regional offices and lines of business to focus on quality, standardization, and systems improvements.
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize Islamic Relief’s volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Islamic Relief’s high-performance executive team.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree or other terminal degree is preferred in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ of managing leadership teams; additional management experience in relevant disciple preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Islamic concepts of zakat, charity, and relief efforts.
- Significant experience in international and US social justice work in humanitarian, food access, health access, refugees/immigrants or some similar background.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and manage clear and focused communications among staff and stakeholders during any crisis intervention by the Organization.
- Strong operational and management experience.
- Must be proficient in the English language and have great listening and public speaking skills.
- Service in a senior management role for a minimum of 3 years in a nonprofit organization, with additional years of experience in the management of multiple departments within a humanitarian or advocacy organization preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding regarding financial planning.
- Must have skills that include organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Must be able to demonstrate success in developing and monitoring systems to manage both operational and programmatic work that involves high levels of collaboration.
- Must possess excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Must be a dynamic, energetic, and highly polished professional.
- Must be able to simultaneously manage several projects while working with IRUSA staff.
- Must possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to IRUSA’s mission.
- Must be able to work effectively in a fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Must be flexible and be able to multitask.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must demonstrate a strong work ethic and should be the link between the organization and the Board of Directors.
- Must demonstrate resourcefulness in setting priorities and serve as a guiding force in investing in people and systems.
- Ability to travel frequently both domestically and abroad.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
At Islamic Relief USA we are committed to safeguarding and protecting all individuals we come into contact with through our work. IRUSA representatives must adhere to its organizational values: Sincerity, Excellence, Compassion, Social Justice, and Custodianship. In accordance with these values, IRUSA operates and enforces policies on Safeguarding, Code of Ethics, and Anti-Harassment and Discrimination.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*