Intellectual Property Paralegal
- Job ID:
- 10 Brookline Place West, Brookline, MA 02445
- Administration Support/Customer Service
- Employment Type:
- Full time
- Work Location:
- PTL Remote: 2-3 days remote/wk
This position provides a variety of intellectual property support functions to the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and Intellectual Property Counsel in the Office of General Counsel. Supervised by the Lead IP Paralegal, they maintain a database of Institute intellectual property assets (e.g., patent, trademark, and copyright), related documents, and docketed deadlines. They use specialized intellectual property applications as well as traditional office software to track assets and produce reports, spreadsheets, and other documents as needed.† This position requires some knowledge of intellectual property, particularly US and International patent and/or trademark prosecution procedure, as well as an appreciation of Institute policies and practices. †Individuals in these positions will interface with faculty and staff members, administrative departments (e.g., Innovations, Research, Communications, and Development), law firms, licensing entities, and collaborating institutions.
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
With direct supervision, provides intellectual property support as follows but not limited to: †
- Assist Intellectual Property staff with drafting formalities, correspondence, and template documents
- Serves as primary contact for intellectual property-related inquiries and requests from faculty and staff members, law firms, licensing entities, and collaborating institutions.
- Reviews and processes all intellectual property-related correspondence including all electronic mail sent to the Intellectual Property Docketing Inbox and Trademark Inbox.
- Coordinates Patent Committee meetings, keeps minutes, and corresponds with outside counsel regarding Patent Committee decisions.
- Works closely with technology transfer professionals in the Belfer Office for Dana-Farber Innovations to support marketing, sponsorship, licensing, and compliance efforts.
- Enters new assets, deadlines, and documents into the online database of Institute intellectual property assets.
- Prepares docket reports tracking intellectual property disclosures, assets, and deadlines
- Submits renewal service payments to patent offices via the online provider interface.
- Assists with the supervision of law firms in the acquisition and maintenance of intellectual property assets by editing and commenting on law firm invoices prior to review by the Intellectual Property Counsel.
- Researches and responds to requests for protection filing documents and statuses.
- Maintains electronic and/or hardcopy files of signed documents and trademark specimens.
- Responsible for quality checks on existing data in the online database of Institute intellectual property assets.
- Responsible for preparing intellectual property assignment and declaration documents, and other documents, coordinating their execution by faculty and staff members, and recording them with patent offices.
- Responsible for preparing Power of Attorney documents, coordinating their execution by the Intellectual Property Counsel, and recording them with patent offices.
- May perform duties related to other special projects as required
- Bachelorís degree required.
- 3 years of relevant experience working with intellectual property preferably in a law firm or an in-house legal department or comparable technology-oriented business environment
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, we work every day to create an innovative, caring, and inclusive environment where every patient, family, and staff member feels they belong.† As relentless as we are in our mission At to reduce the burden of cancer for all, we are equally committed to diversifying our faculty and staff.† Cancer knows no boundaries and when it comes to hiring the most dedicated and diverse professionals, neither do we. If working in this kind of organization inspires you, we encourage you to apply.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*