This job has Expired
Administrative Assistant for the SER Group
Do you enjoy working with people in a very dynamic business setting?
Are you organized, motivated, and proficient with office administrative skills?
If so, weíre looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.†
We are seeking a Group Administrative Assistant to help us coordinate office management tasks and independently perform routine functions in support of a staff of 60 Engineers.
As the SER Group Administrative Assistant, you will:
- Initiate credit card purchases & purchase requisitions for Group staff, projects, overhead, and capital equipment
- Set up staff offices, phones, computers, and keys
- Coordinate onboarding of new hires and interns
- Serve as Group training coordinator (update training database, training resource for staff)
- Maintain Group org chart & contact info
- Maintain professional operation & appearance of Group office and hall displays
- Serve as Security representative (relay updates from Security office, security resource for staff)
- Generate shipping authorizations and surplus equipment forms
- Support inventory audits every 2 years
- Distribute memos
- Maintain memo log and archive
- Serve as Group wiki curator
- Provide administrative support for Group and Branch staff (schedule meetings, distribute office mail)
- Provide travel support to Group staff for travel authorizations, reservations, and reimbursements
You meet the minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Have a High school diploma or equivalent
- Have five or more years of relevant secretarial and/or administrative experience
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience composing a variety of office correspondence; with a history of building effective office relationships with staff, peer groups, and sponsors; possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of staff
- Are adept at multi-tasking in a dynamic environment while demonstrating a pleasant and welcoming personality
- Can demonstrate initiative and effective problem solving skills
- Have excellent organizational skills
- Are proficient with MS Office applications such as Excel, Word, Outlook, and Power-Point
- Use good judgment and discretion
- Are able to operate in an independent manner to solve administrative problems
- Have a willingness to take on additional tasks
- Are willing and able to lift heavy objects (50 lbs)
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Possess a college degree
- Are proficient with SharePoint, management information systems, purchase requisition generation and property management systems, and/or earned value management tools
Be Part of Something Innovative
Over the past 25 years, the Space Exploration Sector at APL, has pushed the boundaries of what is possible; delivering game-changing impacts to sponsors like NASA and the Department of Defense. This includes historic, science space firsts like New Horizons reaching Pluto, Parker Solar Probe being the first to ďtouchĒ the sun, and the DART mission that redirected an asteroid for planetary defense. As a not-for-profit university affiliated research center, APL also delivered solutions to our nationís national security challenges, as proven with the recent Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) Tech Demo, and acts as a trusted partner with the US Space Force in space domain awareness and space-integrated warfare.
APL teams are currently developing missions that will advance the search for life in the Solar System through programs such as Europa Clipper and Dragonfly, exploring the lunar and cislunar domains, and providing fundamental knowledge of our Sunís influence on the near-Earth environment through IMAP and other research and technology endeavors.† To learn about these APLís mission and projects, https://civspace.jhuapl.edu/ and https://www.jhuapl.edu/OurWork/NationalSecuritySpace.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationís most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLís campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at†http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyoneís voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*