Development and Community Engagement Manager
Full Job Description
Foothills Animal Shelter seeks a development and community engagement manager to join our development team who is committed to advancing the mission and vision of Foothills Animal Shelter and excited to engage in the transformative work of animal welfare.
Who We Are
As an open admission shelter, we are committed to being here for families and their pets in Jefferson County, Colorado. We identify as a socially conscious shelter, caring for over 8,000 dogs, cats, and small animals every year with a compassionate team of staff and volunteers who are committed to the physical and emotional wellbeing of every pet we serve.
What You Bring
You enjoy being in the public eye and are enthusiastic about representing Foothills Animal Shelter to existing, prospective, and future donors.
You adapt to new software applications with ease, and you confidently use them to promote engagement with the Shelters mission and expand, implement, and evolve fundraising initiatives.
You are a compelling, articulate advocate who connects our donors and our community to the many ways that Foothills Animal Shelter makes life better for people and pets. You help our donors see how their support makes a difference.
You excel in organizing processes, timelines, supplies, information, and people toward a common goal of raising funds in support of our mission.
You recognize the significance of the human-animal bond, and you are excited to raise funds and help grow our donor base in order to support the formation and continuation of these powerful relationships.
What We Offer
Our shelter is conveniently located between Denver, Colorado, and the magnificent Rocky Mountains, so you get the best of both worlds access to all the cultural benefits of a major urban area while only a short drive to the mountain adventure of your choosing.
We strive for a healthy work-life balance, offering schedule flexibility, a hybrid work schedule, and generous time off benefits to support your Colorado lifestyle.
We offer a full spectrum of employee benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, health savings accounts, flexible spending accounts, and a retirement plan with a 4% employer match and immediate vesting. Currently, two of our medical plans and our dental and vision plans are offered at no cost for employee-only coverage.
Last, but not least: animal time! This role supports the development team in the curation of animal and community stories and in the facilitation of donor tours. Whether you have an affinity for playful dogs, curious cats, or unusual critters, Foothills sees them all and encourages our team to spend time helping them feel their best.
The salary for this position will be $60,000 - $70,000 annually, depending on education and depth and breadth of relevant experience.
DEPARTMENT: Development and Community Engagement
REPORTS TO: Director of Philanthropy
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS: 1
STATUS: Full-time, salaried, exempt
SCHEDULE: 40 hours, variable, hybrid work environment possible
Foothills Animal Shelters mission is: Providing support to our surrounding community through education, services that strengthen the human-pet bond, and humane care for the animals we serve.
All employees and volunteers are expected to embody the Shelters Values which are to have honesty and integrity in all that we do, with the following values as our guide:
- Stewardship: Assume responsibility and ownership for our actions within our shelter and our community.
- Positive Culture: Create a safe, supportive environment for the health, wellbeing, and development of staff and volunteers.
- Openness: Nurture an innovative, inclusive, and creative environment that cultivates conversations and relationships that actively work towards the future.
- Team Oriented: Build relationships, embrace teamwork, and foster collaboration in pursuit of our Mission.
The development and community engagement manager supports the fundraising and donor stewardship efforts of Foothills Animal Shelter across a variety of channels, including event strategy and creation, donor relations efforts, retail center management, and grant and foundation relations support.
- Builds strategic plan for fundraising events to raise critical funds and stewardship experiences to promote engagement with the Shelter.
- Arranges and implements all aspects of development events including event timeline, creative details, site mapping, managing event budgets, security, technical arrangements, coordinating vendors, coordinating and facilitating sponsor benefits, managing signage and supplies, creating volunteer staffing plan, and obtaining any necessary permits.
- Manages event budgets to ensure the maximum benefit for the organization.
- Responds to, reviews, and assesses all third-party event and tour requests to meet the Shelters community engagement strategy.
- Coordinates correspondence, post-event thank you letters, and follow-up activities relating to events and promotions. Provides analysis of return on investment (ROI) and expenditures on all events and community engagement appearances.
- Responsible for the development and supervision of the development and administrative coordinator, including hiring, orientation, training, coaching, recognition, guidance, and overall performance.
- Ensures timely and accurate data entry in collaboration with the development & administrative coordinator. Creates and updates standard operating procedures in support of event data entry.
- Enhances connection with individual donors and provides thoughtful stewardship and cultivation. Oversees Foothills recurring donor program, ensuring donors receive appropriate and timely communication in order to facilitate donor retention and program growth.
- Manages all 3rd party fundraising relationships and memberships (Community Shares of Colorado, Colorado Gives Day, etc.), including workplace giving and annual campaigns. Ensures Foothills profiles are active and up to date.
- Supports the growth of the leadership giving portfolio by identifying high affinity patrons with potential capacity and by stewardship of recurring, workplace, and 3rd party donors.
- Supports the director of philanthropy in grant application and reporting efforts.
- Manages the Foothills Retail Center with the support of the development & administrative coordinator and retail center volunteers. Orders and prices items for resale, conducts inventory, trains volunteers, and develops vendor partnerships to increase sales to benefit Foothills programs.
- Maintains confidentiality of donor information.
- Oversees volunteers who support development programs and initiatives. Interacts with volunteers in appreciative and respectful ways, aiding as needed.
- Promotes teamwork by demonstrating a cooperative, flexible, adaptable, and helpful attitude with all staff and volunteers.
- Maintains a positive, solutions-oriented approach to the work environment, looking for opportunities within each challenge.
- Makes recommendations and leads initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Promotes and follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment.
- Takes immediate action to address any safety concern or noncompliance with OSHA safety rules that could put a staff member, volunteer, patron, animal, or the organization at risk.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- At least two years of experience creating and managing events.
- At least two years of professional experience in fundraising or membership management, preferably in a government or non-profit entity.
- Fear Free Shelter certified or become Fear Free Shelter certified within 60 days of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude for providing excellent customer service to a diverse clientele.
- Ability to utilize effective problem solving/decision making skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Capacity to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive attitude and professional demeanor.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Aptitude for understanding and administering software applications.
- Strong commitment to the welfare and humane treatment of animals.
- Valid driver license with insurable driving record required.
- May be required to work evenings or weekends to support events and community relations.
- Noise, odors, chemical fumes, animal hair and dander are encountered due to equipment and animals.
- Subject to animal bites and scratches.
- Must be able to manage the emotional aspect of end-of-life services and humane euthanasia, and support employees, volunteers, and patrons in high-emotion circumstances.
- Frequent standing on concrete floors, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, with occasional lifting up to fifty pounds.
- Basic office equipment: telephone, computer, printer, projector.
- Cloud-based software programs.
- Drives a vehicle (shelter-owned or personal) on behalf of the Shelter.
About Foothills Animal Shelter: As an open admission shelter, our doors are always open to pets in Jefferson County, and we are committed to serving our community as a socially-conscious shelter. We care for more than 8,000 dogs, cats, and small animals every year with a compassionate team of staff and volunteers. We are a community resource and offer a variety of services including pet adoption, supporting animals and patrons in need through our Better Together programs, Jefferson County pet licensing, and reuniting lost pets with their families. The Shelter is established under an intergovernmental agreement between Jefferson County, the City of Arvada, the City of Lakewood, the City of Wheat Ridge, the City of Golden, the City of Westminster and the City of Edgewater.
Benefits: Foothills Animal Shelter offers a competitive total compensation package. Employees become eligible for medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, and other supplemental benefits after 60 days of employment. Foothills offers coverage of the premiums for employee medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability plans. Employees earn sick and vacation time each pay period, plus six recognized holidays. After six months of employment, employees are eligible for a 401K retirement plan that we will match up to 4%.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*