Hybrid Assembly & Microelectronics Packaging Engineer
Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-energy, mission-focused environment?
Would you like to be a part of cutting edge research and quick-turn prototyping, to help solve critical challenges for U.S. Department of Defense, National Security, and Space missions?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is focused on creating defining innovations that ensure our nation 's preeminence in the 21st century. We are actively seeking a Hybrid Assembly and Microelectronics Packaging Engineer, for the Advanced Electrical Fabrication Group.†
This is a unique opportunity to apply a passion for microelectronics packaging toward advanced prototypes and one-of-a kind systems that will further the scientific knowledge of humankind, safeguard our nation's security, and advance the frontiers of space.
As a Hybrid Assembly & Microelectronics Packaging Engineer...
Your primary responsibility will be to further the development and fabrication of hardware used to solve challenging problems, whose solutions have an important bearing on national security, military readiness, space exploration, national health, and the advancement of fundamental science or engineering.
- You will be working with internal and external partners to develop microelectronic and hybrid assemblies to meet their needs.
- You will communicate issues and concerns throughout the process with our partners, other engineers, technicians, and supervisor.
- You will use†design software such as AutoCAD or Solidworks to make drawing of assemblies, fixtures, or electrical test fixtures.†
- You will be responsible for hands-on microelectronics and hybrid assembly work, especially with a new process or assembly.
- You will work with other engineers an/or technicians to show them how to do the process.†
- You will collaborate with manufacturing engineering staff, develop and communicate electronics assembly workorders using APL 's work order system.
You will maintain and adjust the plans as the build progresses, assist with scheduling and ensure we have in date material and order material as needed.
- Special Working Conditions:†Approximately 50% of work in a cleanroom.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you will have...
- Bachelorís Degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in Hybrid/microelectronic packaging.
- Knowledge of microelectronics assembly and packaging technologies and techniques.
- Excellent hands-on-skills using typical microelectronics packaging tool and techniques.
- Experience creating drawings using AutoCad, Solidworks or other design software.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Extremely strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Must be a proactive, self-starter who can troubleshoot issues with the aim to minimize schedule disruptions in electronics assembly.
- Must have manual dexterity to handle very small components and the ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Basic understanding of electrical circuits and the components used in these circuits.
- Ability to read drawings and schematics.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
Mastersís degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
10+ years of experience in Hybrid/microelectronic packaging.
Good working knowledge of Military and NASA Standards for hybrid microcircuits.
Working Knowledge and experience in Heterogeneous Integration.
Ability to design packages, substrates, interposers, fixtures, printed wiring boards.
Ability to design simple electrical test fixtures.
Customer service experience.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationís most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLís campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at†http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyoneís voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*