Cryogenics Research Engineer
Are you familiar with modern cryogenic systems?
Do you enjoy working on ambitious experiments?
Do you wish to work with a diverse and motivated group to solve pressing national security challenges?
If so, we are seeking someone like you to join our team!
APL is seeking cryogenics engineers at all experience levels. As a member of a multidisciplinary team, you will work on a variety of low-temperature experiments, including cryogenically cooled sensors, helium & superfluid physics, and quantum/quantum-adjacent systems.
We are a hardworking group of scientists, engineers, and experimentalists! We are passionate about developing innovative projects that can impact future use of quantum technologies for our nation. Our team is committed to scientific excellence and continuous improvement, valuing high-risk, high-reward ideas, honest discussion, the willingness to learn/try new things and open collaboration.
As a Cryogenics Engineer:
Your primary responsibility will be to develop creative, independent research to complement existing efforts that use dry 1K systems and dry dilution refrigerator infrastructure.
Cryogenics engineers support existing programs through day-to-day operations of various cryogenic systems and experiments, as well as supplying high-quality ideas and insights into existing problems, leading to novel solutions adaptable to APL and sponsor needs.
You will collaborate with a diverse team of physicists, electrical engineers, materials scientists, and fabrication technicians to develop innovative device, sensor, and system prototypes.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher in physics, engineering or a closely related field (e.g., Materials Science, Applied Physics).
- Have 1+ year experience with cryogenic systems or in characterizing materials or systems at cryogenic temperatures.
- Have a strong desire work in an interdisciplinary, applied science environment.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a TS/SCI+poly level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Have experience crafting, fabricating, and testing cryogenic sensors.
- Have a masters degree or higher in engineering, physics, or a closely related field.
- Have significant experience operating millikelvin test systems.
- Hold an active TS/SCI +poly security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nationís most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APLís campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at†http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyoneís voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*