Assistant Vice President, Finance
Job TitleAssistant Vice President, Finance
Accounting Manager, Staff And Grant Accountants, Accounts Payable Technician, Purchasing Director, Buyer/Purchasing Tech, and Purchasing Tech
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, or related field.
Minimum of 5 years related experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, or related field with a minimum of 4 years of related experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Certified Public Accountant
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead financial and construction accounting, audit compliance, internal controls, purchasing and budgeting efforts
- Ability to work with administrators, staff and faculty at all levels
- Ability to provide logical, fiscal reports and recommendations to the Vice President/Chief Financial Officer and college administration
- Ability to guide, coach and train technical and clerical staff in principles of accounting, purchasing, internal controls and aspects of statutory and common law related to the operation of the college
- Understanding of governmental fund accounting and accounting for educational institutions
- Understanding of the North Carolina Community College System, NCCCS State Board Code and related federal, state and local rules and regulations
- Excellent computer skills as evidenced with at least one data analysis/business intelligence software product (such as SAS, SPSS, Informer with Ellucian Colleague preferred) and competence with Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word, Access and Power Point
- Knowledge of Federal Tax policies as it relates to international students, employees, and vendors
- Knowledge of best practices in audit compliance, internal controls, purchasing and budgeting
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and effective oral and written communication/public relation skills
- Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to think creatively and put ideas into action
- Personal integrity, honesty, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a community college
The Assistant Vice President/Finance position is accountable for the day-to-day accounting operations of the college, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the college’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
Manages the day to day Accounting Operations:
Maintain Chart of Accounts
Prepares Journal Entries as Needed
Review and Approve all personal service contracts
Draft Accounting Policies and Procedures
Develop Internal Controls
Train faculty and staff at all levels in the accounting policies and procedures
Responsible for College Grants, Budget, Financial Reporting, Purchasing, and Eagle Compliance:
Prepare State ACRF Package
Prepare Annual Financial Statements and Notes
Supervise the review of the Monthly budget reports for accounting errors
Requested Monthly Cash Certifications and managed cash balances in all accounts
Supervise the preparation of month end close out reports
Close out the Month in Colleague
Close out the Year in Colleague and set up new fiscal years
Prepare and supervise the preparation of Year End Journal Entries
Approve Journal Entries
Approve Budget Entries
Review Bank Reconciliations
Ensure that all P-card transactions are processed on a monthly basis
Maintain budget users in Colleague
Manage Self Service Banking
Responsible for the maintenance of the travel system
Manage Accounts Payable and Purchasing
Manage day-to-day accounting services
Manage College grants, accounting services, and budgets
Supervise the management of Foreign National Taxation
Responsible for the management of construction budgets
Provide financial and accounting services to the Durham Tech community
Provide training on all financial systems to the staff and faculty at Durham Tech as needed.
Serve as an active leader of the college by participating in the Leadership Council, Operations and Technology Committee, and other roles as assigned.
Participate in long-range and short-term planning for the operation of the college:
Serve in strategic planning, helping to ensure appropriate consideration of fiscal and related matters in those efforts
Assist the vice presidents, division heads, deans, and other leaders in the college to assure appropriate consideration of fiscal-related concerns in the development of program planning.
Work with the vice president, and others that they may assign, to develop division and/or departmental budgets
Help monitor compliance with the budget at all levels
Assist in the development and maintenance of the college budget
Other planning activities as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. The physical and mental demands described as follows are representative of those that must be met by an employee in performing the essential functions of this job:
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift, at times, 10 lbs.
- Good eye/hand dexterity.
Required Working HoursA minimum of a 40-hour work week as determined with the supervisor to allow the employee to fulfill the assigned duties and responsibilities, including occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer schedules may vary to enable four-day or four-and-one-half
Job TypeFull Time Staff
Open Until FilledNo
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*