This job has Expired
Assistant Professor in Plant Biochemistry (Tree and Ecosystem Restoration Cluster)
Location: Syracuse, New York
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Higher Education Institution
Internal Number: 162368
The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY ESF) in Syracuse, NY is building several faculty clusters in interdisciplinary areas tackling the grand challenges of the 21st century. These clusters are focused on Water, Urban Sustainability, and Bioeconomy and will include positions in chemistry, aquatic sciences, engineering, policy and governance. Full details on the Science Cluster positions are available at†https://www.esf.edu/hr/clusterhire.php/
The Chemistry Department seeks applicants for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor.† Interested candidates†will have†research interests in the biochemistry of plant pathogen or pest resistance, plant-microbe interactions, climate change resiliency, or secondary plant metabolism in woody plant species. The candidate is expected to contribute to the broader TERP cluster on campus and towards expanding the undergraduate and graduate programs in biochemistry and plant science. Teaching responsibilities include plant biochemistry, biochemistry lab, and a specialty graduate level course covering some aspects of plant biochemistry. The successful candidate will build an internationally recognized and extramurally funded research program. A strong interest in collaborative research with other faculty in Chemistry and other departments in the TERP is expected within the broader mission of the College to advance knowledge and promote stewardship of both natural and designed environments.†Optimal Start date is December 2023.
Responsibilities:† This is a 10-month appointment with expectations including, but not limited to: teaching, course preparation, research and mentorship, and service to the department, college, and profession.††The workload for this position is 40% teaching, 50% research, and 10% service. Specific teaching responsibilities include a general undergraduate level course in biochemistry, one semester of biochemistry laboratory and specialty graduate level biochemistry courses. Service responsibilities include advising undergraduate students in the Department of Chemistry, mentoring graduate students at the Master and Doctoral levels, and participating in departmental, college and community services.
Starting Salary: commensurate with experience.
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Plant Physiology, or a closely related field.
- Strong record of publication.
- Evidence of potential to secure external funding to support research.
- Ability to teach biochemistry at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- One or more years of postdoctoral experience and a proven track record in either plant biochemical or plant chemical research in plant-microbe interactions, plant pathogen or pest resistance, climate change resiliency, or plant secondary metabolism, preferably in woody plant species.
- Evidence of effective teaching and mentoring.
- Evidence of collegiality and dedication to professional service.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate science effectively to multiple constituencies and to interact collaboratively across multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience fostering an inclusive environment, working with people from diverse backgrounds, and incorporating diverse perspectives in research.
- A strong interest in collaborative research with other faculty in Chemistry, Environmental Biology, and other departments in the TERP.
Create a Job Alert for Similar Jobs
About SUNY ESF- Human Resource Office
Founded in 1911, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) is the nation's oldest and most respected school dedicated to the study of the environment, developing renewable technologies and building a sustainable future. The ESF main campus is in Syracuse, NY and has regional campuses throughout Central New York and the Adirondack Park.
Connections working at SUNY ESF- Human Resource Office
Return to Search Results
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*