This job has Expired
IT Customer Support Technician – Level I
Date: May 16, 2023
Position Title: IT Customer Support Technician – Level I
Department: Customer Support
Job ID: 1524
Work Hours/Schedule: 40 hours/52 weeks
Compensation: Meet & Confer, Grade 12, $20.65/hour
Reports to: Customer Support Team Coordinator
Posting Close Date: May 23, 2023
Note: Flexibility is critical. This position requires the availability to work evenings and weekends. Hours may expand at different times throughout the year to accommodate campus needs
Grand Rapids Community College provides an excellent benefits experience for our GRCC family. Our benefit package is designed to enhance employees' health and well-being. Part-time employees have different benefits outlined in the
specific collective bargaining agreements and handbooks. Below is an overview of these benefits, additional details are available on the Human Resources/Benefits website:
● Six health insurance plan options (includes a high deductible plan with a health savings account option).
● A unique dental & vision reimbursement program (includes coverage for adult orthodontia & lasik eye surgery).
● Employer sponsored retirement plans as well as voluntary retirement savings plans (403b or 457 plans)
● Tuition benefits at GRCC for you, your spouse and your dependents.
● Tuition reimbursement at other higher education institutions for you.
● Generous time off that includes sick, vacation and personal leave banks.
● Paid holidays and holiday shutdown period in late December!
The IT Customer Support Technician provides the “voice of the customer” for the Information Technologies department and is the front-line point of contact for all staff and student related technology concerns and issues.
The Customer Support Technician will serve as the campus-wide initial point of contact for technology-related support services and training initiatives. This position will receive, prioritize, document, and actively resolve end-user support
requests utilizing the college’s service management solution and escalating incidents when appropriate. This position will also assist in developing and conducting end user training using a classroom environment as well as online learning
This position is part of a team, focused on providing exceptional service that exceeds user expectations. The proper candidate is a motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills, a desire to learn and expand technical proficiencies, and the ability to work within a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
Essential Job Functions
● Provide first-line technical support to GRCC’s students, faculty and staff via phone, chat, email, and face-to-face contact.
● Learn appropriate software, hardware, and cloud-based applications used and supported by the college and
remain current on procedural changes.
● Support college enterprise applications such as Campus email, PeopleSoft, Blackboard, Office applications and other applications used by GRCC.
● Collaborates with all IT staff to resolve customer and system issues.
● Assist in identifying solutions for new software needs.
● Troubleshoot and document software, hardware, and network service requests and issues.
● Troubleshoot and provide service to laptops and desktops, both remotely and onsite.
● Assist in identifying, developing and facilitating classroom led training, video tutorials, and individualized campus technology training opportunities on a variety of campus applications and technologies.
● Provide monthly and annual phone, ticketing, and chat reports to IT Directors.
● Develop technical support documentation for Customer Support Knowledgebase.
● Assist in developing support plans and project releases for new campus technology solutions.
● Review Customer Support Knowledgebase articles as a part of the KCS review cycle.
● Support Continual Service Improvement process by testing and providing feedback for new services.
● Contribute to IT campus communications including technology notifications, tips, and social media pages.
● Maintain and provision end user accounts and access through LDAP.
● Maintain and provision end user Google Groups and memberships.
● Initiate, manage, and organize end user access provisioning processes for all new hires, transfers, and separations.
● Provision guest wireless connections to campus events.
● Provide initial and follow-up support for college printers, peripherals and accessories.
● Participate in hardware and software pre-deployment testing.
● Follow through with end users to ensure customer satisfaction.
● Assist in interviewing and hiring new student and contingent staff.
● Provide training to new campus employees through the orientation onboarding process.
● Provide mentorship and onboarding to new student, Contingent I and II, and Support Desk Technician I staff.
● Be available to other unit team members especially student workers for guidance and assistance.
● Maintain confidentiality and comply with HIPAA, FERPA, GRCC policies, and related standards.
● Continually advance personal skill set through college course work, research, and other educational opportunities.
● Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
● Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers
and performing the essential functions of this position.
Marginal Job Functions
● Collaborate with IT Desktop Support Technicians to ensure efficient operation of the organization’s desktop computing environment.
● Provide first level one-on-one instruction where appropriate to make staff productive using the technology tools provided and make recommendations to managers for follow-up training when need is detected.
● Associate’s degree preferred with a concentration in computer science, business, communications, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience desired. Equivalent combination of education and experience is high school degree or GED and 2 years of experience in customer support.
● Minimum 2 years customer service experience. Technology background preferred.
● The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence-based
● Information Skills
● Interacting with Computers
● Getting Information
● Making Decisions and Solving Problems
● Processing Information
● Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
● Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
● Analyzing Data or Information
● Thinking Creatively
● Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
● Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
● Interpreting the Meaning of Information for Others
● Documenting/Recording Information
● Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
● Evaluating Information to Determine Complia
● Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot computer equipment and software issues (Mac and PC)
● Ability to adapt and learn changing technologies and responsibilities
● Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to multitask, responding to multiple support requests at once
● Ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical people
● Ability to provide training and speak publicly
● Must have excellent understanding of customer de-escalation techniques
● Must be self-motivated and resourceful, demonstrating initiative and strong problem-solving abilities
● Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and complete tasks in a timely manner
● Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
● Demonstrated ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships and work effectively as a member of a
● Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, Blackboard, PeopleSoft, Google applications, Active Directory provisioning, and ticketing system functions
● Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision
● Ability to identify innovative approaches for service delivery that meet our customer needs
● Ability to learn and react quickly, make decisions and execute them expeditiously
● Must be highly effective at researching issues and developing solutions
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Possess excellent proofreading and editing skills
● Ability to handle confidential material judiciously
● Sitting for extended periods of time
● Lifting and transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
● Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regard to interruptions
● Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with people of diverse ages, ethnic, sexual orientation and socio-economic backgrounds
● Maintain the highest levels of confidentiality and ethical standards
● Project a professional image, including punctuality and good attendance record
● Grand Rapids Community College will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Employees will be directed to our GRCC Policy(s) for compliance information.
● Hours may expand at different times in the semester to accommodate campus needs
● Availability to work evenings and weekends.
● Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor environment
● Ability to work in busy office with frequent interruptions
● Ability to work remotely with dependable high speed internet when necessary
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on May 23,
2023 at 11:59PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all
programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*