How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
As Marketing and Communication Specialist, you will develop a synergistic communications, marketing, and social media strategy for the Trotter Multicultural Center and the Edward Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning. These two units are within the university's Division of Student Life.
The Trotter Multicultural Center provides intentional space for community engagement that promotes intercultural and multicultural engagement, racial healing, and transformative development across all generations and cultures.
The Ginsberg Center helps community organizations connect with U-M students, faculty, and staff who are invested in positive social change through their research, teaching and service.
You will oversee two graduate assistants, one for each center, and manage freelance marketing and communication support. You will also coordinate closely with the Division of Student Life's central communications, marketing, and design team.
You will report to the directors of each unit.
This position is located on the Ann Arbor campus with the possibility for hybrid work. Some weekend work is also required.
NOTE: This is a 2-year limited term appointment with the potential to re-evaluate for an extension.
Full Job Description linked here.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Family leave
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Communications and marketing strategy and content creation (80%)
- Develop and coordinate strategic marketing and communication plans for each unit using a social justice-informed practice
- Create content for different audiences (such as students, faculty/staff, public, donors) to be distributed through various channels including email, websites, publications and social media
- Create and distribute annual reports, newsletters and presentations
- Create and/or revise brand kits for each unit
- Provide content expertise and coaching on issues related to communications, public relations and social media to each unit’s leadership and staff
- Assist unit leadership and other institutional partners in managing issues affecting the campus community
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of communication and marketing efforts, and identify and implement strategies for improvement
- Manage email campaigns and distribution of newsletters
- Manage two student assistants responsible for creating social media content, graphic design, writing and photography
- Track marketing and communications budgets for the units
- Represent the units at internal and external meetings and forums
- Bachelor's Degree in marketing, communications, information science or related field.
- Minimum 3 years communication experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (presentations, training, newsletters, etc.)
- Understanding of and demonstrated experience in social justice, community development and diversity, equity and inclusion
- Experience with social media and digital communications for a department or organization
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and applicants for this position will not be sponsored for work visas.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Selected candidates whose start date is 4/1/23 or after, will not be eligible for the university salary/merit plan in 2023 unless otherwise notified.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*