Linux Systems Administrator
Do you enjoy contributing to complex technical projects?
Are you searching for meaningful hardware and software support work in collaborative team environment?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a creative IT professional to help us support computing facilities that are instrumental to significant Department of Defense projects. We take great pride in contributing our hardware and software support to projects that help protect the nation. You will actively assist with our IT support efforts, including configuring, installing, uninstalling and maintaining systems used in laboratory environments and field tests.
We are a hardworking team of systems administrators and information security experts, who love working collaboratively to solve complex
computing challenges. Our team is passionate about providing world-class IT services to the facilities and projects we support.
As a Linux Systems Administrator ...
Your main responsibility will be to lead, manage, and administer classified computing facilities in accordance with current Risk Management
Framework (RMF) rules and regulations. Your system administration support will include the installation and management of large servers, SAN
resources, applications, engineering applications, integration between Linux and Windows platforms, supporting existing hardware, and setting
up Linux-based client systems with scientific, analysis, and security management software.
You will also ...
- identify new hardware needs and be responsible for the proper assessment, implementation, and maintenance of approved Security Technical Implementation Guides and site-specific security protocols
- provide hardware and software support for integration and execution of projects throughout the department. You 'II meet with project managers to understand project scope and priorities and help identify and procure the required hardware/software
- collaborate with Windows, storage, network, and virtualization sysadmins and information systems security officers on a range of diverse projects being implemented on small, medium, and large disconnected networks
- assist with the deployment and implementation of security and monitoring tools like Splunk and CheckMK
- adhere to documented procedures and create new documentation as needed
- assist with identifying and remediating vulnerabilities by way of patching and/or modifying configurations
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- experience securing systems to DoD standards
- the ability to mount and unmount local filesystems
- experience with current enterprise Linux distros like Red Hat, Ubuntu, and CentOS
- experience with Apache, MySQL
- experience with authentication and interoperability between Windows and Linux .
- a basic understanding of dhcp, dns, ip subnetting
- basic Windows troubleshooting skills and familiarity of active directory
- the ability to diagnose and troubleshoot problems related to OS, hardware, network, and related software
- a Bachelor's degree or equivalent years of relevant professional experience
- a current Secret security clearance and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret lvel clearance. If selected, you will be subject to
a government security investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S.
- a current DoD 8570 certification (Security+ or CISSP)
- Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- an active Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance
- experience applying STIG settings, using STIG Viewer and interpreting/implementing RMF Control Settings
- experience working with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or Chef
- experience with HPC Clusters
- experience with writing, modifying, or managing Cfengine policies
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*