How to Apply
You must submit a resume in order to be considered for this position. #studentlife
You will be part of a new partnership between Michigan Dining and Student Life Facilities! You will have a year round position working for Michigan Dining from Mid August through April and Student Life Facilities from May through Mid August.
Michigan Dining offers a program that provides high-quality food and a learning environment for our students and campus community including staff. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Student Life Facilities in partnership with Housing provides a seamless residential experience for residents. Work at Michigan, take great pride in the successful services provided, and become a victor for the greater good.
What You'll Do
As a Cook 1 for Michigan Dining you will follow standardized recipes for all meals either in a back-of-house production kitchen or a front-of-house station. Prepare food items ensuring we maintain accurate nutritional standards, great taste, and visual presentation. Communicate daily with culinary and management staff regarding essential issues to appropriate staff members: i.e. production problems, sanitation, quality issues, health and safety issues, and maintenance issues.
As a Custodian II for Student Life Facilities, you will maintain the cleanliness of the building by cleaning the assigned area of work and equipment including floors, furniture, and walls. Operate carpet cleaning equipment, mechanical cleaning, and floor scrubbing equipment, and will sweep, mop, strip, and wax floors. Maintain entrance areas and grounds around the building by sweeping and leaf blowing. Clean restrooms and unplug commodes, urinals, and sink drains without dismantling fixtures, and will stock restroom supplies. You will clean walls, blinds, mirrors and other fixtures. Collect and transport waste materials to designated areas. Clean and wax all furniture, cases, fixtures, and furnishings, and move or arrange furniture. Open or lock buildings or rooms.
Why Work at Michigan?
- Earn a Living Wage - Positions range from $17-$21 per hour, with annual increases.
- Locations near AATA bus routes, with free bus fare for employees.
- Work-Life Balance - consistent schedules and paid holidays.
- Diverse and Inclusive Environment - work in a culture that values creativity, difference, and inclusivity.
- Culinary Excellence - MDining has received national recognition for culinary achievements.
- Unbeatable Benefits - health, dental, vision, and matched retirement contributions.
- Growth opportunities - continuing education and tuition assistance, culinary certifications
- Proficiency in English and ability to interpret instructions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends & holidays.
- Prior food production experience as a short-order cook or line cook in a restaurant; knowledge of the methods and equipment used in the preparation and serving of food.
- Maintain a static position for extended periods of time while preparing food.
- Routinely move items weighing up to 50 lbs.
Sunday: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Monday and Tuesday: OFF
Wednesday through Saturday: 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Department: M|Dining – Bursley
Hourly Rate: $18.69 - $19.31
* U-M is following all current public health guidelines to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Throughout the hiring process, virtual meetings may be required.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the AFSCME union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*