Education Specialist P/T â€“ Teacher (GEAR UP/College Bound)
If you are considering a new job, work environment or career opportunities you should look at Mercer County Community College. MCCC is a publicly supported college that is open to all and dedicated to student success. In order to support that mission Mercer seeks to attract, retain, and support a skilled diverse workforce which is our most valuable resource. We thrive on and are proud of our diversity and open access. Our students and employees find the College large enough for a multitude of offerings yet small enough to keep the â€œCommunityâ€ feel for all. The College consists of two campuses, the James Kerney Campus (JKC) in the capital city of Trenton, NJ and a larger 292 acre suburban campus just six miles north of Trenton.
As part of the comprehensive and valuable benefits package the College offers credit course tuition waivers for employees, spouses and dependents. This allows for employees and their families to take advantage of earning a higher education degree without the high cost. The College offers students 69 Degree Program Options and 35 Credit Certificates from which to choose.
Provide quality instruction aligned to the state and national standards. Use a variety of assessment strategies - diagnostic, formative and summative, to inform instructional decisions and increase student self-management of learning. Rigorous inquiry-based learning tasks engage students in deep content of the discipline as well as the habits of scholarship. The Education Specialist is responsible for providing direct educational support services for students. There are five positions available in middle school to high school level English, Math, Science, and Technology.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Have a working knowledge of and implement the New Jersey State Standards; knowledge of the designated subject matter, classroom management techniques, current researched best practices, and strategies, as well as students' learning styles and needs, both academic and affective.
- Teach students the required curricula using strategies that foster thinking, reasoning and problem solving.
- Collaborate with peers to develop, plan, and implement best practices based on the needs/abilities of the students.
- Assess students' developmental, cognitive, and social needs and provide developmentally appropriate instruction to meet those needs.
- Create lessons and learning environments that are safe, respectful, and interesting as well as multicultural/gender and ability fair/developmentally appropriate.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with families in making educational decisions and use family and community resources to support learning.
- Participate in ongoing and regular staff, team and individual professional development.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university.
- Prior successful experience student teaching or teaching in an urban, multicultural education setting.
- Demonstrated continued professional development through course work, research, peer collaboration and/or job-embedded staff development.
- Master's or PhD preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Ability to rend, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Under the direction of the Curriculum Specialist in accordance with goals and objectives of the site and statewide GEAR UP project.
Adaptability:Â Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Building Trust:Â Interacting with others in a way that gives them confidence in oneâ€™s intentions and those of the organization.
Customer Focus:Â Making customers and their needs a primary focus of oneâ€™s actions; developing and sustaining productive customer relationships.
Decision Making:Â Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*