Assistant/Associate Professor - Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
|Department||Acad Prog / Student Aff (LCB)|
|Position Title||Assistant/Associate Professor|
|Job Title||Assistant/Associate Professor - Biochemistry & Molecular Biology|
|Appointment Type||Academic Teaching/Research Faculty|
|Position Appointment Percent||100|
|Tenure Status||Cascades Campus (Tenure Home in Corvallis)|
|Pay Period||1st through the last day of the month|
|Pay Date||Last working day of the month|
|Recommended Full-Time Salary Range||Starting salary will commensurate with skills, education, and experience.|
|Position Summary|| |
OSU-Cascades in Bend, Oregon invites applications for a full-time 1.0 FTE, 9-month, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology tenure-track assistant or associate professor. The person in this position is assigned to work at OSU-Cascades in Bend, Oregon, with an expected start date of September 2023. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Dean.
The appointee must be committed to recruiting, teaching, and inspiring students who are historically underrepresented in STEM. To improve student success, the appointee must have a thorough grasp of the chemistry of life, so that they are able to deliver accurate and engaging instruction in our general biochemistry courses for non-majors and our advanced biochemistry courses for majors. The successful candidate should be able to refine coursework, execute effective modern pedagogy, conduct sound assessments of learning, and cultivate a culture of engaged learners. The courses taught by the appointee will include Macromolecular Structure, Advanced Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology Laboratory, Biochemistry 1: Structure and Function, Biochemistry 2: Metabolism, Biochemistry 3: Genetic Biochemistry, or Applied Bioinformatics, depending on the candidate’s expertise.
The appointee must have demonstrated success in conducting research in the area of biochemistry, molecular genetics, or bioinformatics/computational biology. The ideal candidate will present a creative and feasible strategy for establishing a world-class research program in an undergraduate-centered environment.
Oregon State University’s commitment to student success includes hiring, retaining, and developing diverse faculty to mentor and educate our undergraduate and graduate students from entry through graduation. Our Strategic Plan (https://leadership.oregonstate.edu/strategic-plan) articulates the strategies we believe critical to advancing research, scholarship, and innovation, providing transformative and accessible education, and building diversity, equity, and inclusion into all facets of our mission to achieve significant impact in Oregon and beyond.
OSU-Cascades, located in Bend, Oregon, is a branch campus of Oregon State University. Established in 2001, the university currently enrolls more than 1,200 students in bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. The campus expanded to a four-year university in 2015 and opened its new campus in 2016. The branch campus has ambitious enrollment goals to reach 3,000 to 5,000 students by 2030. OSU-Cascades is engaged in building a culturally diverse and community-centric educational environment.
Summary of Benefits: https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/prospective-employee
To calculate our Total Rewards Package use this link: https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/new-employees/benefits-calculator
|Position Duties|| |
60% Teaching, Advising, and Other Assigned Duties:
• Teach courses at the undergraduate level
• Stay current in appropriate disciplines to continually develop and improve course content
• Mentor and support undergraduate students in research projects, internships, or seminars and in the writing and publication of their results
• Participate in course and degree assessment and curricular and instructional development
• Advise and support students in their academic programs, research, and career directions as assigned
• Supervise, evaluate, and guide teaching assistants if appropriate
• Participate on M.S. and Ph.D. graduate committees
30% Scholarship and Creative Activity:
• Develop a program of research and scholarship in biochemistry and/or molecular biology that is recognized at the national and/or international level
• Disseminate the research results by publication in high-impact peer-reviewed journals, presentations at scientific meetings, and by other means appropriate for the discipline
• Obtain and administer extramural funding for research including the support of graduate assistant stipends, undergraduate research, travel, summer salary, and other appropriate costs of the research program
• Collaborate with colleagues on and off campus as appropriate in the development of the scholarly work
• Service on departmental and college or university committees as assigned
• Attend faculty meetings and fully participate in departmental activities and faculty governance
• Service to the profession such as refereeing, editing, committee work, organizing conferences or sessions, and similar activities
• Service to the public through science presentations or outreach programs as appropriate
• Maintain an appropriate balance between service to the institution and to the profession
|Minimum/Required Qualifications|| |
PhD (or foreign equivalent) in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field by the date of appointment.
Demonstrated research expertise and a record of scholarly success in the fields of biochemistry/ molecular biology.
Demonstrated ability to effectively teach at the undergraduate level.
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity, justice, and inclusivity.
|Preferred (Special) Qualifications|| |
Relevant postdoctoral (or professional) experience that will enhance ability to establish a rigorous research program, manage projects, obtain funding, and teach and mentor effectively.
Demonstrated research expertise with computational or theoretical methods in one or more of the following areas:
Evidence of facilitating undergraduate experiential learning and/or research.
A demonstrable ability to initiate and complete original research projects, as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
A demonstrable ability to obtain extramural funding for research activity.
An ability to develop a collaborative research program and utilize shared resources to conduct original research.
|Working Conditions / Work Schedule|
|This position requires a clear and unambiguous commitment to compliance of all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations for Division I (FBS) universities.||No|
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Anticipated Appointment Begin Date||09/16/2023|
|Anticipated Appointment End Date|
|Full Consideration Date||03/26/2023|
|Indicate how you intend to recruit for this search||Competitive / External - open to ALL qualified applicants|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|| |
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 26th, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A resume/CV; and
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
3) A diversity statement detailing your knowledge and experience regarding commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity in a diverse workplace and/or classroom setting
4) A one page statement of your research philosophy
5) A one page statement of your teaching philosophy
You will also be required to submit the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone numbers as part of the application process.
For additional information please contact: OSU-Cascades Talent Acquisition, firstname.lastname@example.org.
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the university’s COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https://covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSU’s plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*