132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 70 New Jobs Today.
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL) INSTRUCTOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Close/First Review Date:Â 03/12/2023
Campus Location:Â San Jose City College
This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE (10 Months) Tenure Track position as English as a Second Language (ESL) Instructor in the Division of Language Arts located at San Jose City College.
Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach ESL courses by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
2. Assist the ESL department in recruitment efforts and onboarding of students and new associate faculty.
3. May teach day time, evening time, and Saturday classes.
4. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
5. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
6. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
7. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
8. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
9. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
10. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
11. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
12. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Masters in TESL, TESOL, Applied Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, Linguistics with a TESL emphasis, English with a TESL emphasis or education with a TESL emphasis
Bachelors in TESL, TESOL, English with a TESL certificate, Linguistics with a TESL certificate, Applied Linguistics with a TESL certificate, or any foreign language with a TESL certificate AND Masters in Linguistics, Applied Linguistics, English, Composition, Bilingual/Bicultural Studies, Reading, Speech or any foreign language
- The Equivalent
1. Familiar with latest technologies used in language labs.
2. Familiar with AB705, AB1705, and other legislation affecting the ESL student population.
3. Experience in teaching in different modalities, such as Hybrid, Hyflex, and Zoom synchronous.
4. Experience in designing curriculum and teaching ESL Pathways to Career Courses.
5. Qualified to teach college level English Composition (English 1A) with ESL focus.
5. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienceddiscrimination.
- Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the Districts hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
$84,220 to $115,609 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2022-2023); Maximum Salary Potential $150,001. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link:Â https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*