132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions. 70 New Jobs Today.
Executive Director, Tacoma Youth for Christ
Board of Directors, Tacoma Youth for Christ
Who Reports to this position
The Executive Director for Tacoma Youth for Christ will lead, inspire, and shepherd a team carrying out the mission of YFC to reach kids and their families with the truth and hope of the gospel and the fullness of a lifelong relationship with Christ.
The position requires spiritual leadership, Christ-centered discernment, and courageous faithfulness, rooted in a love for the Lord and deep empathy for people. The director must pursue humility as a foundational posture, seeking to put others first, extend grace, express gratitude, be teachable, and value learning. This position requires extreme passion to grow the mission of the organization, serve the staff and volunteers who pour into kids daily, and cultivate impactful relationships with the community. A successful director will consistently demonstrate the ability to strategically plan and execute with personal effort, disciplined stewardship, and team collaboration. With interpersonal and emotional maturity, the director will be self-aware and reflective, seeking to understand all perspectives and pursue Kingdom-inspired diversity and joyful camaraderie for the organization.
Tacoma Youth For Christ is one the original founding chapters of YFC USA and one of the largest and most active chapters nationally, with 21 staff members and 70 volunteers working to reach and support the young people of Pierce County, WA. Our specific ministries include City Life, Campus Life, Juvenile Justice, Parent Life, and Leaders in Training. Since 1945 Tacoma YFC has impacted thousands across Pierce County. YFC/USA serves under the umbrella of Youth for Christ/International, which brings the good news of Jesus to young people in over 130 countries around the globe.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Fund Development – 60%
- Work with the Development Director to design, implement and carry out a comprehensive fund development strategy for Tacoma YFC
- Develop and nurture relationships with giving partners as part of the development strategy
- Maintain an active communication calendar with both current and prospective giving partners
- Build giving relationships to foster greater financial support of Tacoma YFC and grow the organization’s capacity to serve
Management & Relationship Development– 20%
- Lead Tacoma YFC in our vision, mission and values in order to sustain a healthy organizational culture.
- Oversee development of the annual budget
- Work with staff leadership and board to ensure adherence to budget and adjustments as necessary
- Work in partnership with the Board Governance Committee (BGC) to ensure a strong Board of Directors
- Cultivate relationships with YFC/USA, staff, ministry and giving partners.
Mentoring & Coaching – 15%
- Lead and direct the executive team as it oversees the health and growth of the staff
- Welcome opportunities to encourage and support staff members as they develop professionally and personally
Strategic Planning – 5%
- Work with the board of directors and executive team to develop key growth strategies and goals.
The core purpose and mission of Youth for Christ is to communicate and introduce the Gospel of Jesus Christ to young people and their families, and in that regard to make, educate and encourage life-long disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ. It is very important that you as an employee, in the movement of Youth for Christ, be recognized as an associate minister of the Gospel. As an employee of Youth for Christ and an associate minister of the Gospel, YFC expects all employees to:
- Seek God’s guidance and wisdom, through prayer and meditation, for the organization, as well as for specific ministry initiatives.
- Participate and lead regular times of prayer, devotion, and worship as a regular aspect of your role within YFC.
- Teach and preach from the Holy Bible at YFC staff meetings, conferences, camps, and events.
- Model empathy, humility, and care for all of God's people.
- YFC employees will have an opportunity to be commissioned or licensed as a minister of the Gospel through the established Youth for Christ process, and/or ordained by an outside body recognized by YFC USA.
To be successful in this position, there are several characteristics that the chosen candidate will exhibit:
- The ability to develop strong relationships with giving partners, community partners (churches, schools, other non-profits, etc.), the Board of Directors, and Tacoma YFC staff
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, an engaging public speaker, and the ability to inspire calls to action
- A pattern of pursuing the virtue of humility, recognizing a leader’s role in the context of both the organization and in God’s Kingdom
- Competent strategic planning and team mobilization and execution
- A heart and skill for mentorship and coaching to effectively draw out the best in others
- Spiritual maturity to make wise and courageous decisions in difficult situations.
- Healthy, mature, relationship with God evidenced by Holy Spirit-driven fruit, a commitment to prayer, and a deep understanding and commitment to God’s Word
- Boldness to invite people to participate in the mission of Youth for Christ
Significant experience in senior leadership roles at a youth-serving or comparable organization, having demonstrated proficiency in many or all of the above areas of responsibility.
Bachelor's degree from a 4-year accredited institution.
At least five years of experience supervising and managing staff.
Basic computer competency.
Fiscal management skills, including developing/managing budgets and analyzing financial statements.
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one from a less traditional background. If you have transferable experience, please tell us about it.
As much as 50% of time spent in the community meeting with partners and community members.
The YFC Tacoma staff are part of a culture that has clearly defined their vision, their mission, their values, and their behaviors. https://tacomayfc.org/about/
40-45 hours per week
Travel within Pierce County is required up to 50% of the time.
YFC is classified as an Association of Churches and as such our hiring practices reflect that designation. As a religious nonprofit organization, Youth for Christ incorporates within each leader role, the requirement to model, teach, share and live the faith. The relationship between YFC’s mission and each of its leaders is its lifeblood and as such does at all times and in all instances reserve the right to make employment decisions based upon a person’s religious beliefs, personal character and lifestyle consistent with our understanding of the Bible or with our overall goals and requirements for Christian ministry.
We seek to create a workplace that is intentional about Kingdom Inspired Diversity. Our commitment to our employees extends to their opportunities for growth, development, promotion, training and compensation.
We will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities, unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to the organization.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with the job.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Tacoma, WA: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
*Please mention you saw this ad on AcademicJobs.*